Sitwell~ Chapter 54

"So the question is, how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D. officer in broad daylight?" Steve asks. I sigh, trying my hardest to come up with a plan that would actually work.

"The answer is, you don't." Sam says as he drops a file on the table in front of us.

"What's this?"

"Call it a resume." He responds. I tune out of the conversation, really focusing on ideas we can use to kidnap the officer. Right after they actually come up with something useful, I spring to my feet.

"I GOT IT!"

"What?"

"LETS HAVE A KID TAKE A NAP AND MAKE SURE THE OFFICER WALKS IN THE VICINITY OF THE SLEEPING ADOLESCENT, AND THEN HE WILL BE CONFUSED AND WE CAN KNOCK HIM OUT WITH A GOAT!"

"I will repeat again. What?"

~Time Skip~

I kick the door leading to the roof of a building open just in time for Steve to throw Jasper Sitwell to the ground. "Tell me about Zola's algorithm." Steve demands as Sitwell scrambles to his feet, attempting to put his glasses back on after they fell off when he hit the ground.

"Never heard of it." Sitwell dismisses.

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?" Steve presses.

"I was throwing up, I get seasick." Sitwell comes up with a dumb excuse causing me to roll my eyes. Steve forces Sitwell to the edge of the rooftop, and Sitwell just smile. "Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers." Sitwell attempts to change the subject.

"You're right. It's not. It's hers." Steve says just in time for Natasha to kick Sitwell off of the roof. I chuckle maniacally. We waited a few seconds, listening as Sitwell's screaming starts to fade until Sam returns to the roof with Sitwell in his grip.

"Darn. I sometimes wish we didn't have to be so moral" I huff as we approach the man.

"Zola's algorithm is a program...for choosing Insight's targets!" Sitwell stutters.

"What targets?" Steve asks.

"You, ya idiot." I sigh.

"Yes. You! A TV anchor in Cairo, the Undersecretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa city. Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA! Now, or in the future." Sitwell adds.

"The Future? How could it know" Steve asks, causing Sitwell to laugh before he speaks.

"How could it not? The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught HYDRA how to read it. Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, e-mails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores. Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future."

"And what then?" I hiss.

"Oh, my God. Pierce is gonna kill me." Sitwell says fearfully.

"What then?!" Steve yells.

"Then the Insight Helicarriers scratch people off the list. A few million at a time."

I pause

"Then... that means that I'm safer than you guys are." I murmur, confusing my group. "I... I... remember at the bunker, all Zola had on me was my name. He doesn't even know when I was born. He can hardly see into my future, meaning he can't scratch me off the list." I added.

"So?" Sam asked, confused where I was going with this.

"So, the only way that Zola can get me in his line of fire is if he finds someone that he can press for my information. And majority of those people are in a total different dimension that he has no possible access to. I... I can't lose you guys!" I began to get worried.

"Y/n. Y/n, don't worry. We aren't going anywhere. We will just fight harder and stronger." Natasha asures me, making me smile.