Second-Degree Murder~ Chapter 65

(I've noticed that my reads have been dropping. If you have any suggestions for me so I can prevent this, or any ideas as to why this is happening, please comment or message me.)

"Peace in our time." Ultron says dramatically, seconds before more bots crash into the room, attacking us all.

Steve kicked up a table as a makeshift shield to block the bot flying straight at him. Maria and Natasha pulled out their guns and Thor used his hammer to swat the bots away. In a moment of panic, I become intangible, causing the bot flying towards me to pass through. I yelp when the bot pivots and makes another attempt to harm me.

Natasha guides Bruce upstairs, hoping to keep him from turning green, Steve tackles a bot to the ground, Tony jumps on the back of a bot, Thor demolishes a bot with his hammer, each avenger making their attempt to turn off the bots. Finally regaining composure, I teleport on top of a bot and use my claws to scratch at any wiring that could have been exposed during the attack. Where's an off switch when you need one?

My attention is drawn to Clint when he calls out to Cap. As soon as Steve's attention is on Clint, the archer throws Cap's shield to Steve, who catches it and launches it at a bot, decapitating it.

"That was dramatic!" Ultron sighs.

"How would you know? Did you go to drama school?" I say but, once again, I am ignored.

"I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to...evolve?" Ultron pauses then continues. "With these? These puppets?" Ultron picks up the head of a bot, and crushes it. "There's only one path to peace: The Avengers' extinction."

In a fit of anger, Thor chucks his hammer at the bot, destroying it upon impact. "Woo! Kablooey!" I exclaim but the team was not amused, but ultimately disheartened by the turn of events.

~Time Skip~

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch." Bruce exclaims.

"Ultron." Steve simply stated with no infliction of continuing his statement.

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Natasha reports as she searches around.

" He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" James Rhodes suggests, making a new realization dawn on me.

"Nuclear codes." Maria says.

"The Krabby Patty Secret Formula!" I gasp, but my realization was only recognized by Tony as he gave me a small light hearted smile before returning to being serious.

"Nuclear codes. Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can." James concluded.

"Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." Natasha questions.

"He didn't say dead. He said extinct." Steve cut in.

"He also said he killed somebody." Clint finally added to the conversation.

"Which makes him a hypocrite. He shames us for killing, then he goes and kills too." I add my own thoughts.

"Hypocrite or not, there wasn't anyone else in the building." Maria says, to which Tony explains that Ultron had brutally murdered JARVIS.

"JARVIS was the first line of defense. He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense." Steve says.

"No, Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy, this is...rage." Bruce cuts in.

"Yep. I call that second-degree murder. He better have a good lawyer if he wants to get out of this pickle." I say as I cross my arms over my chest. I am fairly confident that this SOB (son of a billionaire) is gonna be locked up for his crimes.

Once again in a fit of rage, Thor stomps forward and grasps Tony by his throat, lifting him off the ground. I teleport on the upper level of the room, trying to distance myself from the fighting as much as I can without completely separating myself from the group.

"Thor! The Legionnaire." Steve exclaims to which Thor releases Stark.

"Trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north, and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it, again." Thor responds, frustration evident in his voice.

Natasha sighs and adds her own commentary. "The genie's out of that bottle. Clear and present is Ultron."

"I don't understand. You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?" Dr. Cho cut in, expressing her confusion. Tony makes no response apart from his laughing, making it appear that he is almost as mad as me.

"You think this is funny?" Thor growls, slowly losing his temper.

Tony responds to Thor but addresses the group as a whole. "No. It's probably not, right? Is this very terrible? Is it so...is it so...it is. It's so terrible."

"This could've been avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand." Thor yells.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this." Tony says, being the smart ass that he is.

"Tony, maybe this might not be the time to..." Bruce attempts to calm Tony but Tony just lashes out again.

"Really?! That's it? You just roll over, show your belly, every time somebody snarls." Tony grows even more angry.

"Only when I've created a murder bot." Bruce retorts.

Tony immediately questions that theory. "We didn't. We weren't even close. Were we close to an interface?"

"Well, you did something right. And you did it right here. The Avengers were supposed to be different than SHIELD." Steve sasses.

"Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?" Tony asks but I intervene.

"That was actually me."

"Saved New York?" Tony continued.

"Me again."

"Recall that? A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing three hundred feet below it. We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the live long day, but, that up there? That's...that's the end game. How were you guys planning on beating that?" Tony finishes his inspirational speech.

"Together." Steve concludes.

"We'll lose." Tony rejects Steve's conclusion.

"Then we'll do that together, too. Thor's right. Ultron's calling us out. And I'd like to find him before he's ready for us. The world's a big place. Let's start making it smaller." Steve started to form his plan.