Chapter 241-245

C241

Yes, to be honest, he should have spoken the truth from the start and forcefully dragged on the truth for twenty years.

Xiao Jing panicked in her heart. She didn’t know what to do and shifted her gaze away. Sweat dripped from her ears and temples. It wasn’t hot; she was scared.

Xiao Yao put down the cup, his palms sweating profusely. He stood up and faced the child who had unknowingly grown tall. His voice trembled a little, perhaps with unprecedented excitement.

Xiao Jing quickly said, “Father, I know that my rank doesn’t qualify me to stand beside the Marshal to carry out the task, but this is an order from my superior. I can’t refuse.”

Xiao Yao almost blurted out the truth after hearing her obvious excuse. He clenched his fists tightly, as if his mustered courage had been instantly destroyed.

If he wanted to say more, it would be difficult.

The room was quiet for at least five minutes.

Xiao Jing lowered her eyes but didn’t say anything. The shadows in the room seemed to be drifting about erratically.

Xiao Yao sat back in his chair, took a sip of water, and closed his eyes. “You know what I want to say, right?”

Xiao Jing remained silent.

Xiao Yao raised his head to look at her. From the evasive look in her eyes, it seemed that she was afraid to say such a thing.

“Father, it’s late at night.”

Xiao Jing tried to cover it up.

Xiao Yao laughed mockingly to himself, “Yes, it’s deep into the night.”

Xiao Jing saluted. “No matter what, this matter has nothing to do with my mother. Please treat her well.”

“Child, do you think I am ashamed of you and your mother?”

Xiao Yao sighed softly, “That’s right, I’ve indeed done you all wrong.”

“Father …”

“Perhaps it is because of my previous mistake, but if I say anything more, it will seem that I’m being hypocritical.”

Xiao Yao stood up and suddenly aged like an old man in his twilight years. All that was left of him was loneliness and melancholy.

Xiao Jing looked at her father’s indescribable grief as he left. Somehow, she gained courage and called out, “Father, you didn’t do anything wrong, Mother didn’t do anything wrong. This matter, no one is wrong.”

“I was a man who did not take responsibility. I failed Xiao Hong’s mother more than twenty years ago and hurt your mother, and in the end, I ended up implicating you. You can be carefree but you are forced to charge at me with a gun on your back.”

She said, “Yes, you’re right, everything you said was because of you. You were too sad, mistaking your mother, and you hurt her, but you didn’t care about it. Afterwards, when you married into the Xiao family, you were left in the lurch. Father, I’ve been thinking about how you are a great hero, and how you can do anything wrong.”

“The ones who are wrong are only insignificant people like us, but our wrongs can’t even compare to your cold eyes.”

Xiao Yao turned around and their gazes met. A thin layer of light appeared in his eyes as if it would flow down in a flash.

“You hate me, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

Xiao Jing didn’t avoid saying that her reply was disrespectful, and without any hesitation, she blurted it out.