Chapter Four: Whistle

"Hello, Mr Frost," the old man said while his companion stood beside him.

"Hello," Jack greeted the two kindly. A smile was placed on his face.

His hair was rich like mahogany, swept back neatly. He had eyes that resembled cinnamon. They were like the earth on the ground yet with the sweetness of chocolate. They soothed you like coffee. They were soft like a brown bear but hard like wood. He stood tall, pride radiating off him. He was cut clean, like many soldiers.

"You and the young lady kind of tangled up," the old man mused as Jack smiled at the memory.

"Kind of," he chuckled.

"She took a couple of hits," the other employee stated as he chuckled to himself. The three men laughed as the memories came back towards them of the young Dr and her many falls.

"That she did," Jack responded as the other employee returned back to his typewriter, while jack turned his attention to the elder gentleman behind the desk, "were you able to do anything for me?"

"Well," the elder man stated as he looked under his desk, "I got your ticket Mister Frost," he collected the ticket while Jack beamed with happiness, "but I'm afraid your gonna have to sit up between here and Chigaco," he added with a slight sadness, "you see changing your reservations like that-" he tried to explain himself, yet Jack interrupted.

"I know," Jack reassured the elder gentleman, "all my fault entirely."

Another man entered the ticket office, holding bags. He passed it over towards the old man, but the man quickly redirected him.

While the old gentleman and the other man talked, Jack's mind wondered. It wandered to the beautiful stranger he had encountered. He felt a strong pull towards her. He didn't know why. Possibly to do with her appearance, her beautiful appearance, or it could have been the way she spoke, filled anger and detestation for him, but underneath it, all lay a soft sweetness that he could just about detect.

"Beautiful, wasn't she," Jack spoke out loud as he pictured her in his mind.

"Him?" the old gentleman questioned as he pointed to the man who walked down the hallway with bags in hand.

Jack was confused. Turning, he noticed the gentleman walk away, it came to his mind, "oh, no the lady I knocked down."

"Oh, yes," he agreed as he collected the envelope his companion had placed down, "she was. I just got to say so myself, didn't I" He questioned his companion who put an envelope onto the counter to be sent off.

"Yes, you did," the man confirmed.

"It's to bad too," Jack once again stated as he leaned against the counter, "I have a feeling something pretty wonderful could have come from it," Jack imagined the possibilities, " and boom, she's out of my life before I even have a chance to find out."

"It doesn't seem quite right, does it Mr Frost," the older gentleman stated as he pondered on his thoughts. He felt bad for Mr Frost. He appeared to be quite taken with the Dr, "leaving Grand Central Station at eight O'Clock," he added as he remembered his order of business. He put the ticket in an envelope and gave it to Mr Frost.

"Charge this to the paper," Jack told him as he put the ticket in his inside pocket while he collected baggage.

"Mr Frost," the older gentleman caught his attention quickly, "does it mean now that you are going to Japan the Nixie won't be in the newspaper?"

"Oh sure he will," Jack reassured the ticket officer, "it will be his adventures in Tokio. Watch what happens when he whistles in the ear of the white horse," Jack mused with a smile.

"Oh was worried about that," he admitted to Jack.

"You were?" Jack was intrigued. He never knew that simple sketches he designed would mean so much to people.

"Yes, sir."

Jack got his bag. Placing on the counter, Jacket opened a pocket and took out an item, "I had some of these made up for Nixie's special friends," he bought out a toy figurine resembling the small crationJack had created in his newspaper strips. He pressed the creature and a soft whistle came, "whistle and everything," he passed the toy towards the old man who smiles at the gift.

"thank you, Mr Frost," he exclaimed with enthusiasm as he took the gift.

"When he whistles you listen," Jack informed him as he put his rucksack on his shoulder and began to walk.

"Mr Frost, I'm sorry about the Lady," the old man repeated yet again as his glasses began to slide down his node.

"Oh, well that's life I suppose," he answered as he turned and made his way towards the door.

The old man smiled as he picked to toy up. He examined it for a moment. It's a little wisp of hair, chubby cheek and big baby blue eyes. The creature held a smile on its face as the old man pressed its stomach. A short little whistle blue into his ear. The old gentleman listened.

"Mr Frost," he yelled, grabbing Jack's attention before he fully left the shop, "What do you think of this dum helper of mine?" His friend rose at the insult. Readying himself to defend his honour at his companions insult.

"What about him?" Jack questioned, unsure why it had anything to do with him.

"He had a cancellation hidden away all the time," he lied as he brought out a ticket onto the counter and scribbled something across it. His friend was stood by him, questioning him, which he ignored wholeheartedly, "yes probably hiding it for a friend or something," Jack came back towards the desk as he watched the two men, "course it's only an upper berth, Mr Frost," he placed a pen down next to the papers which Jack had to sign."

"Oh, I would settle for a hammock slung between two porters," Jack mused as he signed the sheet quickly and handing the pen and sheet back towards the two gentlemen.

"This train leaves Grand Central Station at five thirty," he handed Jack the ticket, "upper five, cart ten."

"That's really swell, thanks a lot," Jack beamed towards them both, "so long," Jack turned and made his ways towards the door. This time he made it to the door with no interuption from the two men behind the desk or a pretty lady.

"What did I do?" His friend finally questioned as they both watched Jack leave their shop.

"You didn't do anything," his friend reassured him, "but I did. I did something I wanted to do, just once," he glanced back towards the toy that he still held. Again he pressed its stomach and the soft whistle came again, but this time he ignored it enticing whispers.