Chapter Twenty-Three: Wink

When the twilight fades to blackness, the stars begin to shine brightly. A canopy of luminous stars materialized amongst the ocean of blackness. Some were dull, merely flickering into existence every now and then, but there was an adequate amount of shimmering stars to illuminate the dark, moonless night. Though, not many took the time to gaze at their beautiful appearance. The night meant the city was lit by the neon lights of the clubs and bars, shinning on the rain-kissed sidewalks. Lights oh homes shined through windows.

The taxi pulled over. Elsa gratefully paid the man, "would you mind waiting, please," Elsa spoke sweetly towards the driver who lifted his hat up in response. He leaned back in his seat, placing his legs on the bonnet of the car as he closed his eyes.

Elsa had to admire the simplicity of the home. It was charming. The roof was high and pyramid shaped and was covered with brown ceramic tiles. Two small chimneys sat at either side of the house. A few large windows let in just enough light to the rooms below the roof. The house itself was surrounded by paved ground, with an outdoor eating and relaxing space and various potted plants.

Walking down the pathway, confidence oozing out of her, Elsa gazed down at the card briefly. Once knowing she was at the correct destination, Elsa tore her eyes away from the card. Lifting her hand to knock on the door, The door opened swiftly as North Stepped out of the doorway. A smile was held on his face, but it didn't ease Elsa's beating heart.

"I was watching out of the window," North confessed towards her as he gestured for her to come in, "I didn't want you to miss it," he added as Elsa stayed in her place with her hand to her chest. She was calming herself from the shock of North's sudden appearance.

"Thank you, but I..."

"Oh, no," North intervened. He placed a strong but gentle hand on Elsa's shoulder as he towered over her. Elsa had a weary smile on her face as she guided her inside his home, "I know how difficult it is for you to find things," North soothed her as Elsa turned her head sharply, but bit her lip not to say anything, "are you alone?" North questioned as he gazed towards the taxi that waited for her.

"Oh, yes," Elsa assured with a kind smile. She swallowed her fear and confusion of the gentlemen down, "my father couldn't come with me."

"I wasn't expecting him," North coaxed as he ushered her into his home. Elsa was confused by his words but was not given the chance to ask what he meant, "come in please," he guided her through his home

This spacious, rectangular living room had matching plastic furniture. The seating was both cushioned and cushionless. The floor was poured and the walls were painted. Light was provided by table lamps and ceiling light. The room is done in autumn colours.

"I'm so glad that you made up your mind to come," North beamed as he once again urged her further into the house. Elsa detected a sense of urgency in his steps, she wasn't quite sure if that was a good sign.

"You're going to be glad," Elsa responded as he urged her into on of the comfortable seats within his lounge, "you'll see."

"So will you," North assured Elsa, "I'll call my family."

"I think that's a good idea," Elsa commented as she turned within her seat to gaze towards North. North beamed towards her before moving towards the stairs, "do they know why I'm here?" Elsa questioned before North could attempt to move.

"Oh yes," North replied with a suspicious smile on his face. It was hard to contain a secret marriage without the bride knowing, "do you?" He questioned, hoping that the bride was informed over the circumstances and desired to be married.

"Why of course," Elsa reassure North who beamed happily

"Oh that's splendid," North cheered thinking that Elsa was aware of the arranged marriage that her younger sister had set up. If only she did. Elsa would not have been so forthcoming, "it makes everything so much nicer," North commented over his shoulder as he stood by the stairs, Gazing up, North called, "Oh, brother! She's here," North smiled towards Elsa over his shoulder before continued, "and she knows why."

Two people came down the stairs. Elsa presumed the male of the two was North's brother. Elsa had yet to know that his name was Ester and the young female beside him, Toothinana, was his wife. The young female wrapped her arm around her husband's muscular arm in a loving manner. Her short pixie brown hair occasionally fell into her eyes, which she attempted to push behind her ear. Her eyes were a gorgeous green, that contained the dust of the galaxies, swirling with contempt. Her smile was the most breathtaking feature. Elsa was sure that her perfectly straight teeth could dazzle her under certain lights. She was beautiful.

The gentleman who stood beside Toothinana, Ester, appeared to a dashing man. His facial feature exposed that he was slightly older than Elsa, possible five to nine year earlier. His body was built and robust. Elsa imagined it was due to the war, which was shown in his robotic stance and walks. He acted as if he was in the military. His skin was gold. Hair, military cut, that was a shade of black that in some lighting appeared to be grey, though it had nothing to do with his age. Blue eyes that were as clear as the seas that gleamed whenever he looked upon his wife.

"Ester, this Dr Bjorgman sister, Elsa," North explained towards his brother who appeared to be examining Elsa. Elsa did not feel comfortable under his gaze but said nothing of it. She was sure that Ester had done out of habit, then of curiosity. The war could do that to men, "this is my brother, Ester," he introduced them as Elsa watched Ester give a polite nod towards her in greeting, Elsa merely smiled, "and this his charming wife Toothiana," Toothiana greeting was much friendlier. Her smile was bright and a gleam of happiness was in her eyes as she shook Elsa's hand enthusiastically. Elsa was sure to give the lady a large smile. Her bubbliness reminded her of her sister, who she was sure would get along with Mrs Toothiana, "I use them for witnesses," North expressed towards Elsa, who gave a weary smile towards him.

"Oh, I quite understand," Elsa expressed as North gesture her fro to sit back within her seat. Elsa did as North asked and sat.

"I'm glad you do," Ester finally spoke. His voice had an accent, and accent that she presumed to be from Australia, but she could be wrong. Toothiana's arm dropped from her husbands as he moved, "but I don't think that makes it right," Ester spoke his mind as he looked towards his brother who glared at him harshly. Ester did not agree with the plan and if Dr Bjorgman had no saved his brother many years, he was sure that he would have nothing to do with it, "I think it's terrible."

Elsa turned, her attention on North, "do you mind getting a glass of water?" Elsa asked politely with a sweet tone, "I'm so thirsty," Elsa stated as she gestured to her throat.

"Not at all," Toothiana spoke as she began to move. Elsa quickly grasped her hand. Elsa noticed Ester stiffen at her sudden move and she was sure to let go of her. Elsa suspected that Ester was not a man who allowed other people, women or not, to control his wife. A good feature.

Elsa winked towards the both of them. Hoping they would receive her hidden meaning. The did not.

"What did you say?" Toothiana questioned as she examined Elsa.

"I didn't say anything," Elsa assured as she shifted in her seat. Toothiana gazed at her husband with a puzzled look.

"You winked," Ester informed Elsa who wanted to roll her eyes. She refrained.

"Oh did I?" Elsa questioned as if she was surprised that they would say such a thing. Behind her North shook his head towards his brother and wife and signalled for them to remain quiet, "I do that. It's a nervous habit," Elsa lied. They didn't seem to understand. She winked multiple times.

"I'm sorry I called attention to it," Ester apologised as he believed her lie. Elsa wanted to sigh in frustration.

"So am I," Elsa mumbled under her breath, "do you mind getting it?" Elsa questioned North as she turned in her seat to gaze towards him, "I'd like to talk to your brother a moment," Elsa explained as she fluttered her eyelashes.

"Well," North stuttered as he watched Elsa continue to flutter her eyelashes towards him, "no. It would be my pleasure," North moved towards his brother, "Ester don't spoil anything," he muttered under his breath, "don't pay any attention to my brother says," North mused towards Elsa who smiled softly, "he has very stubborn ideas," North expressed as he glared towards his brother in a warning tone.