Chapter Seven: Cart Ten, Upper Five

There are days the tiredness comes in both forms, physical and mental. The body needs to rest yet the mind needs it to move, to burn the anxiety right out. Without exercise the mind will keep you up all night long, without rest the body will spiral into exhaustion.

This was how Jack felt. His body was tired from a days work but his mind kept going over and over. Over a woman who he dearly cared for, even though he had only known her for a day.

"Porter, when you got a chance," Jack pointed to his bunk, "upper five please," Jack waited patiently as the porter busied himself with another customer.

The old gentleman who had given them a seat came out from his bed, "good night," Jack responded with the same response as the porter came with the step ladder, "hope your wife sleeps well."

Jack was confused, "what," he questioned. Realising what he was saying, Jack quickly recovered, "oh, thanks a lot," Jack responded with a smile, as the porter placed the stairs against his bunk.

"Do you want a boy or a girl?" the man questioned.

Again the questioned startled him, but again he recovered, "oh, I'm beginning to think I want a girl," the porter left the two gentlemen to talk, "for the first time in my life, I think I want a girl," he confessed as he bent down towards the man who sat on his bead listening.

"Girls are nice," the man stated, "well, I hope you get what you want," the man lay down on his bed.

"I'll certainly try my best," Jack responded as he opened the curtain, "good night," Jack turned away from the man and smiled happily as he imagined having a small little girl of his own. He beamed further as he imagined Elsa holding their child.

He took the first steps of the ladder but soon stopped. There was movement. Jack appeared shocked. He once again looked at the numbers and then he collected his ticket to reassure himself. He was correct. Cart ten, upper five.

Gradually, Jack opened the curtain. Jack popped his head through and saw a woman sleeping. He recognised her, but he had little time to think about that. He wanted his bed and that was all that mattered. Getting a closer look at the woman, Jack paused before he made a move. It was Dr Elsa Winter. He swallowed hard.

Gently and cautiously, Jack shook her gently on the shoulder. Elsa awake, barely. Groggily she turned her head to Jack.

"You can't do this," Jack told her as believed her to be forcing herself onto him. Elsa gasped quickly as she realised. She sat up swiftly. Her head hit the ceiling. Grasping her head in pain, Elsa searched for the light for her bunker, "don't make so much noise," Jack scolded her as Elsa glared towards him.

"Mr Frost, are the no limits," Elsa snapped.

"Look it's all right to pretend we're married to get you a seat in the club cart but we can't overdo this," Jack informed as Elsa looked at him with confusion. Jack gazed at her, she wore a pretty little nightgown and her hair was free from that deluxe bun. Her nightgown was a pristine white. It pooled around her like liquid silk. The silk caressed her skin like a cool autumn breeze. Elsa noticing her gaze, pulled the blanket over her, to hid her gown from his eyes, "gee, you look pretty with your hair-"

Jack was interrupted. He felt a tap on his back. Coming out, Jack saw the porter gazing up at him with concern etched on his face, "everything all right sire?"

"Oh wonderful," Jack stated.

"Haven't you better get in bed?" the porter urged as Jack came down a few steps so that the porter wasn't craning his neck to look up towards him.

"Certainly," Jack paused trying to think of an excuse that may be appropriate for the situation, "I was just doing my sitting up exercises," Jack stated as he moved his feet up and down one step with a smile, "got to keep in shape you know, you never know what your going to run into," Jack added.