031.

"Here you are, Tristan. My homemade, straight out of the box pancakes." Mr. Jensen jokes as he sets a plate of steaming pancakes in front of Tristan at the breakfast table.

"Thank you, Mr. Jensen," She says quietly as she stares at the food. She glances beside her where Justin sits, eating his second helping and acting as if this is the most normal thing in the world. Tristan can't remember the last time her mother had cooked her or Justin breakfast, and sitting at a table with two strangers who cooked her breakfast is such a foreign concept that she feels out of place.

"Matt is going to drop you off at school today, Tristan." Laine says as she sips her coffee.

Tristan looks up from the table with surprise written on her face, "Oh you don't have to, I don't want to be any trouble..."

"We don't want you to walk around an unknown area or get lost," Matt says, carefully smiling at her. "It's no trouble at all, Tristan. Really."

She take a bite of her food as she hears someone walk in behind her. Clay's voice turns everyone's attention to him, "This is weird."

Tristan doesn't look at Clay, but she can tell that he isn't comfortable with Tristan and Justin in his house either. Justin looks up from his breakfast and smiles at Clay, "You should have some pancakes. They're fucking amazing."

"Justin." Tristan snaps, glaring at her brother for his foul mouth.

"I'll get you a plate," Matt says as he stands from his chair and pulls pancakes out of the warmer and onto a plate for his son.

"Clay, your dad is going to take you to court today, after dropping Tristan off." Laine says.

Clay exhales deeply, "Great."

"I wish I could be there as well..." Laine continues as she watches her son reach over the table and grab the pancakes off of Justin's plate instead of taking the ones his father made him.

"Really, no problem, I've got this." Clay says before glancing back at Justin, "And you've got alt-Clay here so,"

The boy gives one last snarky smile before turning around and leaving the kitchen. Tristan's stomach ties together in guilt, Clay's comment for some reason makes her feel hurt and she looks over to Justin who seems to have the same feeling. Tristan takes in a large breath and goes back to eating her breakfast.

The car ride to school was painfully silent. No one said a word the whole trip, and Mr. Jensen's 80's jazz softly playing in the background didn't help. Matt pulls up to the front entrance of Liberty High and puts the car in park. Tristan gets her backpack and is about to open the door when Matt looks in the rear view mirror and smiles at her, "Have a good day at school,"

Tristan's eyes widen as she looks back in shock at the man in the front seat. She literally broke into his house yesterday and here he is feeding her, driving her to school, and telling her to have a good day. She doesn't understand how someone could be this kind. After a couple seconds of her not saying anything, Tristan smiles back, "Thank you, Mr. Jensen."

Tristan steps out of the car and before closing it she looks at Clay who is sitting in the passenger seat, "Good luck in court today, Clay."

Clay looks at her and nods his head. Tristan can tell the boy is nervous and as she walks towards the large building in front of her she hopes that he doesn't say anything to mess up the Baker's lawsuit.

As she walks towards her locker, she notices that Zach Dempsey is already waiting there with his back propped against the lockers. Once their eyes meet, Zach starts walking towards her, "Are you ready to do this?"