043.

Tristan stands at the edge of the bed, looking at the mirror hung by the door. She straightens her dress and smooths down her once long brown hair that has now been chopped to her shoulders. Her court hearing is today, and the longer she looks at her reflection, the more nervous she becomes.

There is a knock on the door that grabs Tristan's attention, "Come in."

Clay emerges from the door and he anxiously smiles at the girl, "Hey, we're ready to go, so whenever you are ready..."

Nerves fill Tristan's stomach and she nods, following the boy out of her room and down the stairs, where his parents wait on them.

The courtroom is more intimidating when Tristan is the one taking the stand. She sits with Lainie as they wait for the hearing to begin. Jessica Davis is sitting close to the short haired girl with her parents, and the girls instinctively interlock their hands with each other.

Bryce Walker sits at the defendant's table with his lawyers, and Tristan can't muster up enough courage to look at his parents sitting behind him. They must hate her, for putting their son through this, after they clothed her, and fed her, and gave her a roof over her head for eight years.

Tristan takes in a deep breath as Judge Purdy steps out of his chambers and onto the judge's bench. He begins to call out the trial information and looks out to the seldom number of people in the room, "Does the defendant have anything to say before we proceed?"

"My client wishes to make an allocation to the court," Bryce Walker's lawyer speaks, glancing at Bryce.

"Go ahead." The judge responds. Bryce stands and walks to the podium, clutching a piece of paper in front of him.

Bryce clears his throat, "Thank you, Your Honor. I would first like to apologize to the two girls who sit here today. It truly hurts me to think that my actions have caused anyone emotional distress. When I think of the pain that I may have caused I- I just... Well, I feel awful. Everyday I wish I could go back in time. I was used to a certain culture of partying and hookups and assuming consent, and many of us never questioned it, but it is time to question it. And I know that I need to be the one to set the example. I'm trying everyday to be a better man- to be the man that my parents raised me to be. And to be a positive influence at Liberty High. It is my sincerest hope that you will allow me to do so. Thank you, sir."

The boy nods his head one last time to the judge and returns to his seat. Judge Purdy looks towards the plaintiffs, "Does the county accept the allocution?"

"We do, Your Honor." The two girls' attorney addresses the judge, "Prior to sentencing, the two victims would like to exercise their right to make their own statements."

"Proceed." Judge Purdy says. Tristan's stomach flips as she feels Lainie Jensen squeeze her leg encouragingly. The girl releases a shaky breath as she stands. Tristan's head is held low as she nervously walks to the podium.

"Your Honor, I grew up with Bryce Walker. Him and my brother were best friends since they were eight. I was constantly at his house, and as Justin and I got older we started staying with Bryce's family when our mother would bring home a new drug addicted boyfriend. We were around him and his family so often that I started to consider him as my brother... Your Honor, it wasn't until I was older that I realized the kind of monster that he actually is.

"Bryce Walker told me that he would kick my brother and I out of his house if I did not satisfy his needs. That if I didn't perform sexual acts for him that he prefer me to become homeless or abused by my mother's boyfriend. I was twelve. I barely understood what sex was, but I knew what he was doing to me was wrong. He threatened to hurt me if I told anyone what he was doing to me. I couldn't even tell my brother what has happening because of Bryce's threats. I had no one and Bryce preyed upon me because of it. I was fourteen when he forced me to have sexual intercourse with him. I told him to stop. He didn't. I did everything I could to get him off of me, but he held me down. He raped me.