Chapter 5

One year on after the crash out school decided it was going to do something to commemorate my sister and remember her, while raisin. Awareness of the dangers of drink driving. They asked me to speak to the whole school telling them my experience and a bit about my sister. Once I finished my speech there was silence and ten a slow quiet clap started. My teachers told me I was brave for doing it and taking the blame for the accident. Of course with the recounting of the accident there came again the stares and points.

After school there was a candle lite service at out local church where my family attended along with other people we knew. There was a gathering at my house for family to come and remember my sister and ignore me. The students at my school of course found a better way to remember her, by having a party and getting drunk.

The party wasn't far from my house only a couple of streets over so I walked it there in just a pair of jeans and t-shirt. I got there about 9:30pm and a lot of people had showed up many where already drunk and falling over each other on the make shift dance floor.

I walked around for half an hour watching people get more and more drunk. I watched some of Alison's old friends taking shots in the kitchen "to Alison" they said before downing another shot. Yeah I thought great way to remember her by getting blind drunk. Their logic baffled me. I was making my way back to the front door to leave when I was stopped by Sophie, my sister best friend. She was extremely drunk, slurring her words. She starting having a go at me.

"It's all your fault" she shouted, "you crashed that car , you killed your own sister. Don't you feel anything?" she shouted at me.

"Of course I do" I mumbled

"Your a vile piece of scum and you should have does instead of Alison" she screamed at me.

Everyone had stopped and was now looking at us, the music had even been turned off.

" I...."

"Don't try and say your sorry, we know your not. you wanted this. You where always help use of her. She was more popular than you, she had a better boyfriend than you and you crashed that car on purpose didn't you?"

A few gasps of shock and oohs came from the crowd surrounding us.

"I didn't, I would never want that. It was an accident I didn't mean for it to happen" I said as tear began to sting my eyes.

Next thing she launched herself at me, slapping me in the face hard and pushing me to the floor. She hyped on top of me and continued to hit me. Screaming "it's your fault. You should be dead not her."

Is closed my eyes and tried to protect my face with my arms. Her weight was lifted off me and then arms picked me up pulling me into their embrace. I held my eyes closed not wanted to see people faces.

Sophie was still screaming but I couldn't understand her now as it was mixed with sobs and tears.

"Leave her alone, it wasn't her fault. You all know she didn't mean for it to happen. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I was there I know what happened it was as much my fault as it was hers." The stranger holding me said. I recognised the voice but couldn't think from where. I moved back and looked up to see his face.

It was Jason.