chapter 17

SOPHIE

She stood there with a group of girls behind her across the room all with similar disgusted looks on their faces. Although I could swear there was a bit of jealousy as well. I looked at Jason but he was just looking amusingly at them. When they where close enough he stood up and they stopped a few feet away.

"Oh there you are Jason I have been looking all over for you I thought we could spend lunch together and catch up we all wanna know how you are." Sophie said with a sickly sweet smile.

"No thanks Sophie after what happened at the party I don't think your the kind of person I wana be hanging around with but thanks. I'm sure there will be plenty of gossip going around about me and you have probably heard my whole story by now. Alison always said you where the gossip queen " he replied as everyone in the room was intently listing, even one of the PE staff hiding at the back. They all gasped at Alison's name as if it was a taboo word.

"But I will tell you what" Jason continued, "how about I tell you it now so you don't have to keep pestering me. I'm back here for hopefully the next year, I came back because my mum is dying of cancer and I came to help care for her. That's all you need to know so go on with your day" he turned back around to sit down.

"Well yeah I know all that but how can you sit there with her, be friends with her, knowing that she hurt you and she killed her sister?" Sophie says.

" I told you this the night of the party, or where you too drunk to remember. It was just as much my fault as it was hers I was there remember,me and Issy are the only ones who know what happened and that's all that matters. As for being friends with her, she is my best friend, she's the only one who knows what I'm going through and truly cares and feels the same. So I would thank you to keep your nose out of our business now" he stared at her for a few seconds until she turned away and walked out.

I sat there in a bit of shock tears where threatening to spill down my cheeks. He was the only person to have stuck up for me in the last year, the only person to be there for me. I looked at him as my vision was swimming and he lent over and gave me a hug and the tears spilled over. I silently wept as he hid my face from view. By the time the bell rang to tell us dinner time was over my eyes where dry again.

The rest of my classes that day where pretty much normal I had the odd quick look from some girl but that was it. At the end if school I actually felt like smiling. I walked out and started to walk home when a car pulled up beside me beeping the horn. Jason rolled down the window and whisteled at me.

"Thought I was giving you a lift home?" He says.

"Oh god yeah I forgot" I climb in the car and belt up, "sorry I'm so used to walking everywhere now"

" well get used my driving because I will drive you to and from school now, your on my way home anyway"he smiles at me.

"Yes sir, hahaha."

Things pretty much stayed normal for a while Jason would pick me up take me to school, we would spend time together at school and then he would take me home. We didn't spend any time together outside of school, he was looking after his mother. Twice a week I would stay behind after school and get work done in the library while Jason had swim team practice. Unfortunately practice was closed, only swim team members where allowed in. Jason helped with my depression alot, I still had to deal with my parents but now I had someone on my side.