Chapter 1

"Excuse me? Are you Miss Russo?"

I look at the woman who spoke to me as I exited the gates from the plane I just disembarked. She looked like a air hostess but my dad always told me that with the surname Russo, you need to always watch your back. Especially now that I'm in Mob territory. I kept my face blank and shook my head in the negative. I went to continue on my way but she stood in front of me, blocking my way.

"You are Lexi Russo. You need to wait here. Mr Russo will be here soon to pick you up."

I eyed her up and down. She looked really anxious. Now, either she's telling the truth and she's scared of what my cousins will do if she doesn't follow orders, or she's lying and she's delaying me until someone can come and snatch me.

I raise my eyebrow at her,

"sei parte della famiglia?" (Are you part of the family?)

"si Signora" (yes miss)

Hmm, ok. She might be working for my cousins then. Either way I'm feeling generous today, and she's being quite respectful. So I lean against the wall so no one can sneak up on me and people watch.

About 15 minutes later, I see the atmosphere in the airport change. Men and women both look nervous, but also excited. This can only mean my cousin is here. When the crowd parts I see why the crowd reacted the way it did. Not one, but all six of my cousins made their way toward me. I heard the air hostess give a small squeal of nerves and straighten up. I straightened up off the wall and kept a blank face.

Rule 1: never show what you're thinking.

It's been 15 years since I saw my cousins. Last time was at my cousins b'day when we were 3.

The youngest two Romeo and Rodrigo are identical twins. 18 years old and seniors like me.

Then it's Rocco who's 21.

Roberto who's 23.

Riccardo who's 26.

And the eldest Raffaelo who's 28. He's the head of the family.

They stopped in front of me. They looked me up and down, also without expression. Then the twins let out woops of laughter and grabbed me up into a massive bear hug.

"Cuz we've missed you. Look at how much you've grown." I smile at him.

"Thanks Rom. Missed you too." He moves back surprised.

"How did you know it was me?"

"The scar on your ear. After all, I gave it to you!" And I smirk at him.

Rom gives me a mock scowl where as the rest of the guys burst into laughter.

"That's right! She bit you because you took a bite of her icecream" said Ric.

Raf comes and pulls me into his side. He nods a dismissal to the air hostess who looks relieved to be able to get out of there. Then with his arm over my shoulders he turns us towards the exit.

"Sorry about Uncle Sam cugino (cousin), he was a good man. He'll be sorely missed" says Roc giving me a smile.

I liked that he didn't give me a look of pity. None of them did. They were just stating their opinions. That helped me relax into Raf some more. I hate pity.

"I'll keep you safe little cuz, we all will. You've been away from the family too long. It's good to have you back" says Raf.

"Little cuz? I'm 6 foot Raf. Not exactly little."

"Well compared to us you are" laughs Rod.

"You know, you've changed Lexi. You used to look like your mum, now you look like a pure Russo. There's no hiding the family connection now, even if we changed your surname" says Raf.

I stiffen up and move away from him. He looks at me with a frown.

"What's wrong Lex?" he asks.

"If you guys didn't want me with you, you could of just said so. I'm 18. I'm fine to live on my own. I've got money. Just drop me off at a hotel and I'll stay out of your way" and I start walking off.

"What the fuck! No you won't. Of course we want you" says Rod.

"You're more our sister than our cousin, there's no way we're letting you go when we just got you back" says Rom.

"Don't you want to live with us?" says Roc.

"What the fuck!" says Rob and Ric together.

"Shut up!" yells Raf at his brothers who had shouted all those pretty much at the same time. When they quiet, he faces me.

"Why would you say something like that Lexi? We're blood. We always stick together" he says sincerely. I look at my cousins. My brothers now. They look sincere.

"You said you wanted to hide the family connection. What am I supposed to think, other than the thought of you not wanting me?"

They all open their mouths to say something but shut them again at the look on Rafs face.

"We only want to keep you safe. We thought if we could hide who you are, we could do that easier. But you're like a mini me in girl version. No hiding you. You are our sister now. We love you Sorella (sister)" and with those words he yanks me into his arms and holds me tight.

"I don't know Raf, you're being kinda girly right now too" says Rom. He gets a slap to the back of the head by Ric for that. We all laugh.

"Ok. Brothers. Hmm, sounds nice. Have my things been delivered yet guys?" I ask. Rob answers excitedly,

"Yep. And I have to say, you have great taste in wheels. A Venom and a Hayabusa? I was drooling sister!"

I notice how quickly they've all gone from calling me cousin to now calling me sister. It felt good. It's been just me and my dad for 15 years now. And most of that has been with sitters cause he's been off on missions. It was great to be with family again.

"I hope you guys know that I'm not some gentle little flower. I want to be part of all aspects of the family!"

By now we're in the limo driving home, so we can talk more freely. Raf and Ric eye each other, then me. Ric clears his throat and starts gently,

"Not trying to insult you Lexi but what we do is dangerous. I know you know what we do. Who we are. It's not really a place for a girl. The only jobs girls who look like you have are usually done on their backs or on their knees. Something you will never do!"

They all look like they agree. I face Raf.

"I can handle any weapon ever made. Let it be guns or knives or even a bow and arrow, I always get my mark. I can disassemble and reassemble any firearm you can think of. In seconds. I know how to build bombs as well as deactivate most types too. I know 5 different types of martial arts. I'm great at parkour too so I'm fast and agile. I also have Seal training so I can hold my breath under water for minutes. My dad taught me how to drive pretty much every vehicle invented, including how to fly a plane and helicopter. I know I'm hot, and because of that guys always underestimate me. Oh yeah, I also have a photographic memory. Truthfully I'm kind of over qualified!"

By the end of my summary all six of them were slack jawed. Raf grins at me,

"Well ok then. I guess we don't have to worry about your safety as much as we thought. Maybe we should warn everyone away from you for their safety instead."

"Wait, wait. Who called you hot!?!" Asks Rom.

I sigh with an eye roll. Of course that's what they pick up on. Overprotective Italian men. Before I can answer we get to the house. It's stunning. We spend a couple more hours catching up. They show me around the house and give me all the relevant information I'll need, like security codes etc. Then it's time to sleep. It was a long journey and it's been a long few weeks since my dad died. Apparently tomorrow we are off to get supplies for school. I'm not happy about it. I've had private tutoring at the academy until now. Only reason I'm not refusing point blank is cause Rom and Rod will be there. Corden High School better not be like those TV shows.  And with those thoughts I let myself drift off to sleep.