Chapter 15

"This better be life or death or I'm going to be fucking pissed fratello!"

I answer my phone aggressively.
It's quiet for a split second before Rom answers.

Rom, "Riley was attacked by Boris. We were changing for P.E when he burst into the change rooms with a fucking garrote, and tried to chop off Rileys head."

I could hear Daly shouting into his own phone further down the path. What the fuck!!!

"Where's Boris now? I'm assuming since you said 'tried' that he was unsuccessful."

Rom, "Yeah Rileys ok. Bit of a bruised neck but doing ok. The changing room was full of students. So it was full of witnesses. We couldn't retaliate. But we were able to hold him until the cops rocked up and arrested him!"

"Anyone hear where he's being taken to?"

Rom, "Yeah, to Redfell Prison, until they can organise a hearing. Too many witnesses for him to deny what he did, so they're taking him straight to prison instead of a waiting cell at the local precinct."

"That's good. I know people there. He won't be breathing by tomorrow."

Daly hears this and calms down. He gives me a nod of approval and thanks.

Rom, "Well ok then. I'll let everyone here know the update. By the way, where are you?"

"I'm in the forest with Daly. Yuri Ivanov tried to ambush us. He's dead now in some bushes behind the canteen. We're going the long way around."

There's a beat of silence, then,

Rom, "What were you doing behind the canteen with Daly in the first place?"

"Seriously Rom? I tell you we killed a guy who was trying to either kill or kidnap us, and you want to know what I was doing behind the canteen with my boyfriend?"

I see Daly grin when he hears me call him my boyfriend. He's off his call now and just watching me argue with my cousin. I roll my eyes at him but smile back.

"Listen, we'll be there in less than 10 minutes. Where is everyone? Should we even bother going to school?"

Rom, "Riley is still here, but in the nurses office. Pat is with him. The younger 3 don't know anything yet, but that will change as soon as break starts. Word travels fast. Your best bet is coming straight to the nurses and figuring out what you'll do from there. Rod and I are waiting here too."

"Thanks guys. You twins need to stick together. Hahaha. But seriously, I appreciate you looking out for them. They're pretty much family now after all."

We say goodbye and hang up. Daly hugs me close.

"It's ok Daly. Riley is going to be ok.  Rom wouldn't lie about that."

Daly, "Oh I know he's doing ok. I spoke to Pat. I just wanted to know you were ok too? With what happened between us earlier?"

I had completely forgotten my sexual frustration in the aftermath of my phone conversation. Now I could feel it hovering on my skin, like an itch that you just can't scratch.

"Why would you remind me of that now?"

Daly looked slightly disappointed. Did he expect to continue where we left off? His brother was just attacked!

Daly, "Sorry. I just wanted to make sure you weren't hurt, or embarrassed, and that you were ok with everything we did. But since you don't want to talk about it, I guess you didn't enjoy it as much as me?!"

"Uh of course I didn't enjoy it as much as you did you jackass!"

He flinched but tried to hide it.