Chapter 22

Xia Wei was shaking all the time while waiting in the main hall. Standing there, before all the ministers and the Yan Emperor sitting high up on his throne. Her legs threatened to give way any moment now.

"The Empress has arrived!"

"Long live the Empress!"

Qiu Qian Ling beckoned at the ministers. Dismissing all usual formalities. With a smile, he sat on the Empress's seat, right next to the Yan Emperor's throne.

"Ling er, how's Xiao Ci?"

"Xiao Ci is fine now. The imperial physicians are taking care of him now. Besides, En Ya and Qian Feng are both there too. Hm? Is that child the savior of our Xiao Ci?"

"Seems like it. However, the story Zhen received from Prince Yu was rather different. Would Ling er look to it?"

Qiu Qian Ling nodded. His eyes held a glint of intellectual as he stared at Xia Wei who got frightened to the point her teeth started to chatter. A smile appeared on Qiu Qian Ling's face.

"Miss Xia Wei, is it? You said that you're the one that saved our Princess?"

"Princess?? Wasn't he a man?"

"So, what you mean is, you don't know his physical condition despite saving, taking care of him for these few days?"

"I- I mean, this.... man and woman needs to follow the propriety.... So I didn't actually asked the physician of his condition...."

Xia Wei was stuttering, her hands shaking. In her brain fried mind, Xia Wei couldn't help thinking how to deal with this situation. Yan Empress Qiu Qian Ling was rather famed for his intelligence all over the Country. Nothing could be hidden while in his presence.

"Then let Bengong ask you, what's the color of the carriage where you found Princess Ci? The condition when you found him? The place where the carriage had crashed? Which physician you've brought him to? And, do you know of the man surnamed Jian?"

Her eyes bulged in shock at the mentioning of the name. Her legs gave way and Xia Wei fainted.

Hmm? So easy to deal with? Qiu Qian Ling and Zheng Yu Xian exchanged glances. Even the ministers stared at the fainted girl with disgust.

"Send her back to where she came from."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

***

"What are you saying? Ah Zhi is....who?"

"The Great Emperor of the Qi Empire, Jian Ze. Prince Yu revealed it to us. Even going as far as to propose for Ci ge's hand in marriage in his stead. It was truly a shocking news not just us, but our Fuhuang and Muhou as well."

Zheng En Ya peeled off the banana as she ate it. Staring at the stupefied Zheng Ci, she smiled.

"Ci ge, seems like you'll just have to wait for the main betrothal gifts to arrive now. Hehe~~"

Zheng Ci's face flushed up in embarrassment. He cupped his face as Zheng En Ya continued to tease him.

More than a month passed, clouds in the sky driven to the west by the fiery wind of autumn. His health had just gotten better after a full course of medication. Zheng Ci sat in the Lily Pavilion, reminiscing the tea banquet. The first person he had placed his glance upon, was Zhi.

To think his real identity would actually be the Great Emperor of Qi Empire. Zheng Ci sulked. He crossed his arms on the jade table and lied his head down, resting on his arms.

"Giving me such a shock. I should be angry, but I just can't get myself to resent him. Could it be because I'm already too infatuated with him?"

The nice weather made him feel happier. With the sun up high in the sky, yet no clouds in sight for the whole noon. What a good time to enjoy his tea time. A palace maid ran towards the pavilion, urgently informing Zheng Ci of a breaking news.