Special Chapter: Wei Gonggong

Standing on the roofed bridge atop the historical landscaping of the Imperial Palace of Yan, his mind was off and away following the rain. Wei gonggong stood with his back slightly arched down due to long years of his service as an eunuch. How long had it been, he did not exactly remember. He did not choose to be an eunuch, it was fate that made him as one.

What was his real name? Where was he originated from? Not many knew of it, but the Emperor Xian and he himself did. He was once named, Tang Guan.

Tang Guan was born into a poor family in the land of Empire Qi. He was a young boy when he started serving in a merchant's household. The year of famine made the household's businesses went down the drain, most of the old and experienced servants were sold off to other households, leaving the youngest few to enter the palace as maids and eunuchs.

He did not make the decision himself but his parents did. In his family, there were too many siblings to feed. One mouth less to feed in the family could save them more food for their remaining children. And the salary was higher in the palace than anywhere else.

He was one lucky eunuch. On his first week in the palace, Tang Guan was taken in under the care of the senior eunuch Li who was in charge of the princes' well-being. He was helpful to his teacher, gaining both favoritism and critism from everyone around him as he become older.

The master's concerns were always the cause of the eunuchs' misery. Whether it was the smallest errand of water fetching or one as huge as one catastrophe that may cause the country's mishap, an eunuch's stance had to always be with their master. Be it alive or dead. It wasn't easy living the life of an eunuch.

On his fifth year in the palace, Tang Guan turned twenty one years old. It was that year when Empire Qi first established a connection to one of the smaller country around the Empire. Tang Guan was chosen to accompany the ambassador to Yan Country.

He was fascinated by the colorful lanterns on the first night they arrived. It was a tradition in the land of Yan as he was told.

A wishing festival.

With permission from the ambassador, he went off to sightseeing by himself, dressing up in his newly bought all-pink noble garments.

How bold, he recalled his memory of the time. There was one such person who walked around the market with his head held high and a red koi fish lantern under the arm. The person was heading towards the lakeside. It was not the person he found it to be a marvel. It was his clothing. Well, to be exact, it was the conspicuous attire of a palace eunuch.

The bustling street split the road for him in an instant. No one was daring to get close to him as if he had fleas or some sort of diseases on him.

If only I knew wearing the eunuch clothing would make it easier to go around...

That was what he had in mind as he was stuck in the middle of the crowd to the left side of the street.

Tang Guan headed towards the lakeside after getting himself a bubbly pink lantern, following the eunuch knowing that it would be less crowded wherever he would be going. By coincidence, he heard the eunuch was wishing for something he found laughable.

"I wish for the Emperor's health, for the palace's harem to be rid of, a good wife and world peace."

"Abolish the harem? A good wife? Pffft-!"

The eunuch noticed him laughing. Grumpy look was on his face.

"Rude. How daring of you to listen in on my wishes?!"

"What's an eunuch like you doing here, wishing for a good wife when you don't even have that thingy of yours."

"So what? I can wish for whatever I want. It's none of your business. Go away. Don't stand near me."