Chapter 40

Jian Ze woke up to find the space to his right side empty. He sat up and wore on his shoes, ready to go find his Little Cici who was missing from the room. Once he pushed the door open, the guards immediately informed him of his Empress's whereabout.

He followed them down to the hall. The inn was empty with no one else but themselves and the workers were around as they had rented the whole inn to themselves. Water was boiling, the dried leaves left on the tray, prepared to be soaked in but the person himself was busy sewing something onto the shoes. Jian Ze arrived with full curiosity.

"Little Cici, what are you doing this early morning? Hmm? Are your shoes uncomfortable? Shall I have them get you a better pair?"

Zheng Ci shook his head and wore the shoes.

"I've padded it so it will be fine. No need to worry about me. Sit down, I'll make some tea for you."

"Alright. How come I do not see Li Shun? Where had he gone to?"

"I've sent him around to find the whereabouts of the shaman. He will be back soon enough."

Washing his hands in the water basin prepared on the side, Zheng Ci gathered his mind to concentrate on his brewing skill. Pouring the cold water in to soak the tea leaves for twenty breaths of time. He removed the leaves after, placing them in a new pot and pouring in the hot water. Steeping the tea for another forty breaths.

He poured into four teacups, then poured them away in a bowl before a second and third time refilling the cups again. Zheng Ci placed a full cup in front of him, gesturing that it was ready.

Li Shun returned to the inn with a few findings. He stood aside with the guards while their Great Emperor and Empress were having their tea session. There was this unspoken rule within the Great Qi's palace. When the Empress was brewing the tea in the presence of the Great Emperor, no one was allowed to disturb them. For those who did, they would be unlucky for the next three days. Falling down the stairs by themselves, their money pouches would be stolen or lost, heavy rain was to occur if they were to go out of the palace. It had been testified by many servants and since an incident of someone tripping and ended up pouring water on the former Great Emperor, and was then punished with ten months of no pay, no one had ever been so daring to break the one unspoken rule ever after.

"Do you feel calmer now?" Jian Ze slightly gripped Zheng Ci's hand. Zheng Ci smiled.

"Much better. Li Shun, report to us of your findings." Zheng Ci raised a cup to his lips, sipping a little of the tea.

"Yes. According to the people in the city, the shaman is currently working under Prince Yu Feng and many shamans were brought into the palace three years earlier. It was unknown of what they had been doing within the palace walls with all these shamans but nu cai was able to find out that not long ago, corpses have been moved out of the palace in the middle of the night. They were all wearing the same shaman clothing."

Such news made them furrowed their brows. Lives had been sacrificed for an unknown reason.

"It seems we have better beware of what he was aiming to do. What would Prince Yu Feng hire Fu Lun for?" Jian Ze whispered.

"There is something else that nu cai needs to report on."

"Speak."

"Crown Prince Zheng Yi and Princess En Ya. They are also within the palace."

The cup in Zheng Ci's grasp fell on the table with a clank. The tea was spilled as he stood with a shocking expression to his face. Jian Ze was grim as well.

This was not good timing at all. They need to hurry. Or else, soon, more lives would be sacrificed.

"Tonight, we shall enter the palace and slay that evil man."