Boys Don't Cry

Narrator's POV

"Dad?" Peter asked, turning the light on his nightstand on when there was a gentle knock on his door. Stephen was standing at his doorway. Peter sat up and rubbed his eyes. "What time is it?"

"It's two in the morning." Stephen said.

"Oh." Peter squinted his eyes at the clock on his  nightstand. "What are you doing up this late?"

"I just wanted to check on you." Stephen said.

"I'm okay." Peter said.

"Alright then. I hope you sleep well." Stephen said, lifting his hand up, sticking two fingers out and pulling them down; shutting the lamp off. He grabbed the doorknob and began to slowly close the door. "Goodnight Peter."

"Are you okay Dad?" Peter asked, stopping Stephen from closing the door. Stephen sighed, and looked back into Peter's room. Peter sat on the edge of his bed and patted a spot next to him. Stephen went over to the bed and sat down next to his son. He sighed, and laid his head on his son's shoulder. Peter patted his dad's back.

"I'm scared?" Stephen said, trying to hold back tears. He was trying to be strong.

"Why?" Peter asked.

"I'm worried. I've been watching him. Visiting him in my astral form so he won't see me. Peter, he's awful. He doesn't sleep, he barely eats." Stephen explained. "I've transferred some of my energy over to him to keep him going, but he's seriously thinking about pulling the plug."

"Then why don't you talk to him?" Peter asked. "When Wade and I get in arguments, and like really bad ones, we always come back to each other to apologize." Peter said. Stephen looked at him. "Trust me, this one time I got mad at him for being such a big flirt. He's always been a flirt, a huge one. I usually don't mind, but this time he went a little overboard. He kissed a girl on the cheek." He said. Stephen still had his head on his son's shoulder. "And that's where I was like "No sir" and took him to the hallway. I told him I wasn't happy with that."

"And what did he say?" Asked Stephen.

"He said "hey relax, it was just a little kiss", but I said "so it'd be okay for me to kiss someone else then huh?" Then he got upset because he said it wasn't. Then I told him he had just done what he said was wrong." Peter said. "I swear we argued for about fifteen minutes, and I was tired of his attitude and walked away."

"Oh no." Stephen gasped.

"Yeah. I refused to talk to him. I didn't text him or call him or even look his way for about three long days." Peter laughed a little. "I'm very dramatic." That made Stephen smile a little. "But then I began to miss him and thought about how going off on him like that only made things worse." Stephen listened closely. "I texted him, telling him I needed to talk to him. He responded with "me too." Then we met on the rooftop of Aunt May's old home. It was quiet between us two at first, you know? Because like, you don't want to be the first one to admit that you were wrong and apologize. We just sat there, quietly. For a few minutes actually, quite a bunch." Peter smiled. "Then he made a stupid knock knock joke. It was really stupid, but it broke the ice."

Stephen lifted his head off his son's shoulder and looked at him.

"He was the first to say he was sorry. He said that it was wrong of him to do that because he's in a relationship and those kinds of things are suppose to be shared not to anyone but to your significant other." Peter explained. "I apologized too. I shouldn't have gone off on him just like that. I should've explained my feelings to him about the situation calmly. It's not easy, you know. There are boundaries and limits that you have now." Peter finished his story. "So I think you should talk to Mr. Stark. I know you miss him dad. I miss him too." Peter said, hugging his dad.

"Yeah. I miss him. I miss his stupid theory on his waffles are just pancakes with abs, and his stupid shortness. And making jokes about his stupid shortness. And I miss his stupid hugs and kisses. I miss his stupid hair and his stupid face. I miss the way he held me at night and his stupid sleep talking." Stephen laughed a little with tears in his eyes.

"Dad, you really love Mr. Stark, don't you?" Peter asked, smiling.

Stephen sniffled. "Oh yeah, a lot." He felt his shaky hands, his right hand was missing a golden circular object.

"It'll be okay Dad. I promise." Peter said, holding his dad close.

"Thanks Peter." Stephen hugged his son back.

An idea sprung into Peter's mind. "You can sleep with me if you want." He said.

Stephen laughed. "I appreciate the offer, but I don't think we can both fit in your bed."

"Sure we can." Peter jumped on his bed, landing on the other end. "Watch this." He clicked a button on the headboard. The bed cut itself in half and pushed another mattress in between the halves.

"Whoa, Peter that was amazing. How did-"

"Mr. Stark made a lab for me, don't tell him I told you, and I built this because sometimes I want bigger bed to jump on." Peter explained.

Stephen smiled at him. "What did I do to deserve the world's best son?"

Peter smiled and climbed in the bed. Stephen laid next to him. "Goodnight Peter." Peter embraced his dad.

"Goodnight."