By His Side

Narrator's POV

"Papa! Dad!" Oliver raced downstairs when he heard the door open. Levi followed close behind him. He jumped the last few steps and embraced his dads. He looked up at them with a smile, which faded when he saw the look on their faces. "Peter?" He said.

Patted his head softly, giving him a broken smile. He crouched down to his height. "Oliver. Your brother is..." He sniffled. "...very sick at the moment. He won't be home for..." Honestly, Stephen didn't even know when Peter would wake up. "...no one knows." A tear rolled down his cheek.

Seeing his parents like this hurt him. He put a hand on Stephen's cheek. "Don't cry dad. I know Peter. He is strong. He will make it through." He said. Stephen gave him a broken smile.

"Yes." Stephen said. "I know he will."

No, he didn't know if he would.

Oliver looked at his papa. "Papa, please don't be sad."

Tony looked down at Oliver. He picked him up and held him close. "I'm not. I'm not." He said in between tears.

///0///0

It was 4:30 in the morning. The only reason Stephen was awake was because Tony was still awake. Tony had his back to him. Stephen could hear him breathing.

"Tony..." Stephen whispered. He got no answer. "It was't your fault." He still didn't get an answer. He sighed.

He sat up, put on his slippers and walked out of the room. Levi followed closed behind. Levi looked back at Tony at the doorway before he floated out of the room.

///0///0

The door to Oliver's room opened, shining the hallway light on the bed where his body rested. Oliver shifted in his sleep and sat up. He rubbed his eyes. "Mmm..." He groaned. He squinted at the figure that stood at the doorway. "Daddy?" He asked.

"Hey bud." Stephen said walking over to the bed. He sat on the edge of the bed.

"Is something wrong?" Oliver asked.

"Oh no, no, no." Stephen smiled at his little son. "Your papa is just having a hard time." He said.

"Is it Peter?" Oliver asked.

"Peter is fine." Stephen said, rubbing Oliver's back. He began to lie down, taking Oliver with him. He held his son close and placed the covers over them. He kissed his curly caramel colored hair. "Your papa is just worried." Stephen said.

He cradled his little one. Oliver fell back asleep with ease, but Stephen remained awake for the next couple of hours.

///0///0

Stephen had actually managed to get some rest last night, he passed out in exhaustion. He was awake, but didn't want to open his eyes. He was warm and comfortable. He felt a little person shift in his arms. A small smile formed on his lips. He slowly began to open his eyes. The curtains on the window across from him were closed, holding back the sun rays. He looked down at his little son.

Oliver was so peaceful, so innocent. He had the whole world to see, many things to learn, so many adventures to go on. His cute little lips pouted a little as he slept peacefully, his caramel curls were so soft. His cute little button nose and soft round cheeks were irresistibly cute. Stephen smiled at him. This little boy had all his heart. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if something happened to him. He loved his son, but some times he wondered if he had made the right choice by adopting a small child with the current situation his family was in. They were always in danger, constantly getting hurt and getting involved in dangerous situations. It would tear Oliver apart if one of his parents died. It'd break Stephen's heart, and traumatize Tony furthermore if something were to happen to this little child.

Stephen stared across the room, holding his son close. He sighed.

///0///0

"His heart rate has been regular, but the brain is functioning at its lowest stage of alertness." Christine told Stephen.

He had come to visit Peter at the hospital. He was outside of Peter's room, Oliver held his hand. Tony stood beside Stephen with sunglasses on. He was playing it cool, but inside; a raging fire of anxiety spread throughout his mind. He just staid quiet, messing with his hands.

"At this point there's no telling when he'll wake up. It could be anywhere from two to four weeks." Stephen said, looking at the clipboard Christine handed him.

"Yes." Christine said. She looked down at Oliver. "Is this your youngest?" She smiled.

"Yes. Say hi Oliver." Stephen said.

"Is my brother in there?" Oliver asked.

Christine smiled. "Yes."

"Dad can we go see him?"Oliver looked up at Stephen.

"That's why we're here." Stephen said. Christine looked back at Tony. Stephen watched her. "I would like to apologize for Tony's behavior last night. He just..." Stephen couldn't find the words. "You know how that goes."

"Yes, I'm terribly sorry." Tony apologized.

"It's totally fine. I understand." She smiled. "Well, I best leave you be." She said. "Stephen." She gave a small nod and walked away.

All three stood at the doorway.

"Go on Tony." Stephen said.

Tony took the doorknob in his hand and opened the door. He walked in slowly.

"Oh Peter." He said, seeing Peter on the hospital bed with an oxygen mask over his face, tubes  and wires were all over him. He went over to the bed side. He placed a hand on Peter's forehead. He felt tears form in his eyes. His wondering eyes caught every bruise, scratch, and stitch on Peter's body.

Oliver walked up to the bed, but was a little too short. He looked up at Stephen and raised his arms up. Stephen picked him up and stared at Peter.

"Is he asleep?" Oliver asked.

"Kind of. He's in a comatose state Oliver. He won't wake up for a while." Stephen explained.

"Can't we shake him awake?" Oliver asked.

"Oh no, no. You don't want to shake him. He's in a real fragile state right now. You don't want to shake him." Stephen explained.

"What are all those tubes and wires for?" Oliver asked.

"Well this one is to help him breathe. It regulates the amount of oxygen his body takes in." Stephen answered. Oliver paid close attention. "And this one pumps a formula made of glucose and other nutrients he needs to keep his body from deteriorating. And this one puts liquids in his bloodstream so he can stay hydrated."

"Is the thing on his finger to take his pulse?" Oliver asked.

"Yup." Stephen nodded. Oliver looked over at the monitor. 

"His heart is beating." Oliver said.

"Yes it is." Stephen smiled at Oliver.

///0///0

Stephen and Tony sat across Peter's bed on a couch. Oliver was sound asleep next to his brother in his bed. Tony sat next to Stephen, leaning forward on his knees with is hands over his face. The blue in his chest was very dim. Stephen rubbed his back. 

"Tony, you know it's not your fault." Stephen said softly. 

"Please don't say that. Don't say." Tony picked his head up. "I made a promise to May to keep him safe, and here he is laying unconscious, probably dying, in a hospital bed." Tony said. 

"You don't know that. Peter is strong. He will make it." Stephen said, putting his hand on Tony's knee. There was sniffling in the room. "Tony..." Stephen said. 

Tony looked up at Stephen, tears filled his eyes. He sniffled. "Stephen..." A tear rolled down his cheek. "I'm scared." His voice cracked. 

Stephen pulled him into an embrace. "I know." He kissed Tony's head. Tony leaned onto Stephen's shoulder. "Me too."