[Shinsou] Unravel

[Hi, and welcome! Quick announcement, I'm looking for someone to help me proofread and write so if you're interested, message me!]

Word count: 946

Shinsou was quite an enigma, even to his most trusted friend, [Y/n]. In all the years she'd known him, she wasn't too sure what his quirk was, which wouldn't have been a big deal if it weren't for both of them wanting to be heroes.

It was now the year before high school, and [Y/n] was determined to figure out what his quirk was. She knew she couldn't ask him; every time she'd tried resulted in an evasion and subject change.

Which led to this very moment, where she was sifting through files in the nurse's office, searching for her friend's documents.

"Aha!" [Y/n] whisper-shouted when she found his folder. She cracked it open and stuck her tongue out in sheer concentration as she skimmed the front page with his basic information.

'Name: Shinsou Hitoshi'
'Birth date: July 1'
'Height: 177 cm'
'Blood type: AB'

She ran her finger along the words until it settled on what she was seeking.

'Quirk: Brainwashing'

"What?" [Y/n] mumbled and furrowed her brows. She had never heard of anyone with a quirk like that. A shiver ran up her spine at what that could mean. Admittedly, the thought of him having used it on her crossed her mind. What if their friendship was fake?

Her head shook and she felt ashamed of herself for even thinking that.

It all made sense now. It explained why she was essentially his only friend. Why he wouldn't show off his quirk like their schoolmates. Why he was so reserved and defensive about it.

People were afraid of him. He never told her because he thought she'd be afraid too.

[Y/n] snuck out of the nurse's and trudged to the cafeteria, still having maybe ten minutes left to eat. She didn't feel hungry though. Instead, her head was swimming in thoughts and she was walking subconsciously. That's why when a hand suddenly landed on her shoulder, she gasped sharply in shock as she was torn from her trance and looked to its owner.

"Where've you been? I was looking all over for you." Shinsou said with the slightest hint of worry in his otherwise monotonous voice.

"Nurse's." She replied honestly, leading them to a somewhat isolated table. It didn't occur to her that a plain answer like that with no elaboration would worry him further.

"You alright? Did you catch a fever or something?" Shinsou placed the back of his hand on her forehead and she laughed and shooed him away. He cared about her so much, it made her heart soar.

This isn't someone who would take advantage of her. This is someone who only wants to be understood, and so far she was the only one who did. Or he thought she did.

Reality settled and she knew she couldn't lie to him.

Her eyes avoided his intense gaze as he waited for an explanation.

"I looked at your record."

He stilled beside her, heart racing. It was too good to be true, this friendship. Shinsou was convinced he could never have something nice, not with his perceivably 'evil' power.

"I see." He finally said, his words cutting the heavy silence.

'That's my cue to leave and never talk to her again, I guess.' He thought.

As he was getting up to walk away, she quickly held his wrist and he grunted in surprise.

"Tell me about it." She stated, giving him innocent, doe eyes.

Confusion was an understatement for what he was feeling. He went along with whatever was happening and returned to his seat then cleared his throat.

"I can control the mind of anyone who responds to me, as long as I will it so."

[Y/n] was awestruck. That ability sounded amazing! Shinsou could easily win practically any fight with such a powerful quirk. He'd make a great hero! She wanted to say all this, but instead asked a question that was lingering in her head since she found out. There were possible answers she pondered but she wanted to hear it from him.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Shinsou sighed and dropped his head. "I just figured once you realized what I'm capable of, you wouldn't want to be around me. Maybe you'd even think I've brainwashed you before without you knowing. It terrified me to no end, telling you the truth."

[Y/n]'s heart shattered at seeing her closest friend so sad and broken.
As gentle as she could muster, she put one hand on his cheek and used the other to lift his chin.

"Shinsou... I think it's wonderful! You could make an incredible hero with a power like that! I'll be honest with you, for a moment...well, I did consider you having used it on me, but then I remembered what a genuine, caring person you are. If someone else with true ill intent had a quirk like yours, heaven help us. But thankfully, you have it, a good soul. I'm sorry you felt the need to hide this from me."

The entire time she was monologuing, he was frozen in place, not expecting such a response.

Once he registered every word she had said, tears rolled down from his violet eyes and he couldn't help but hug her and sob into her neck. [Y/n] was shocked to see her friend so vulnerable, but snapped out of it to rub his back and stroke his wild lavender hair in solace.

Her touch amplified his emotions, particularly the love he harbored for her - whether it was romantic or platonic, he couldn't tell. All he knew was he deeply appreciated having her in his life.