[Todoroki] Despite

Fantasy AU

Word count: 1436

Gentle hands smoothed a creamy substance along the jaw and chin of the young prince of the kingdom, and his downcast eyes stared intently into the concentrated hues of his servant/best friend, [Y/n]. She was a lovely girl, a little bit younger than him, and they got along well - what with both not liking his father. That mutual disdain led to jokes and smiles and laughs and they grew closer as the months passed.

He cracked a grin at how focused she was and she shoved his shoulder playfully.
"Don't move! I'll slice your cheek and your father will have my head."

"Of course, my apologies." The smile didn't falter and she tried hiding her own that slowly rose to her lips.

She glided the blade graciously along his skin until it was smooth then washed the excess cream with a damp cloth.

"What an odd friendship we have where I have to shave your face." She joked and he chuckled.

"I could do it myself but it's more fun to watch you do it." He said, staring at her as she had turned away to wring the cloth into a wooden bucket.

A rosy color blossomed on her cheeks but she laughed it off. "You enjoy watching me suffer?"

"Just a little." Shouto's grin softened, silently adoring the pink blush she failed at hiding.

Just then, the door to his quarters slammed wide open and his father invited himself in.

[Y/n] scrambled to bow out of respect and Shouto sighed in annoyance at his presence.

"Yes, father?" Shouto asked with a hint of attitude.

"Have you cleaned my son up?" King Enji directed the question at [Y/n].

She raised her head to speak but did not meet his narrowed eyes.
"Yes, my king."

"Excellent. Come here, Shouto. We have princesses from other kingdoms awaiting you in the dining hall. Do remember to be polite; after all, one can possibly be our next queen."

The two young adults froze, the same frantic thoughts running through their heads.

He was to choose a future queen? A wife?! Today?!

"But father-" Shouto began to protest but was quickly silenced.

"I'll have no disobedience today, Shouto. Now." He ordered in a threatening tone and Shouto huffed, following his father out of the room.

The prince took a final glance back at his friend and she gave a sad smile and waved. Bitterness enveloped him and he glared at the back of his father's head.

Shouto had to speak to the princesses individually and feign interest in what they had to say about their families and kingdoms, the gloomy face of his friend etched into the forefront of his mind. Why did it bother him so much?

The girls noticed Shouto wasn't paying attention to them, but frankly they weren't all pleased about being arranged to wed either, so they were in a way grateful for his disinterest.

Once he'd spoken to them all, he left the room to meet his anxiously-awaiting father.

"So? Which caught your eye?" Enji had wide, excited eyes as he anticipated his son's answer.

"None of them did." Shouto responded honestly, a faraway look in his heterochromatic eyes.

A snarl curled on the king's mouth. "Fine. I will choose one for you then."