[Toshinori] Nightmares

Word count: 813

In the still of the late night, Toshinori Yagi tossed and turned from awful memories haunting him in the form of dreams.

He saw the evil incarnate All For One, and his master, Nana Shimura. She was just barely clinging onto life and Toshinori watched helplessly. This dream wasn't allowing him to take action. He was paralyzed in fear at the sight of his bloodied mother figure, but despite being put through an immeasurable amount of pain, she weakly smiled at her successor.

"It's going to be okay, Toshinori. You hear me?" Her voice cracked, betraying her, but she kept the smile on her face.

Toshinori's mangled cries were stuck in his throat and he felt like he was suffocating from his own emotion.

All For One cackled before ending her torture and executing her.
"Pathetic." He spat before dropping her lifeless body.
Toshinori screamed, still frozen in place, and tears cascaded down his thin face.

He shot up in bed and hyperventilated, eyes darting around to assess his surroundings. His body fell back and he wiped the very real tears that had formed around his eyes.
He didn't have dreams like this often, but when he did, they always resulted in a sleepless night.

The thought of calling his good friend [Y/n] crossed his mind and he went back and forth with the idea.

'I don't want to wake her... But maybe I don't have to?'

Going to her home without warning wasn't unlike Toshinori and [Y/n] had gotten used to it. But in the dead of night, when she's asleep? What if she thought her home was being intruded by robbers or kidnappers?

'Well... She'll forgive me.' He settled and got changed into clothes he could step out in and slipped on a pair of shoes and a coat before heading to her place.

The walk didn't take long, although terrible thoughts lingered on the journey, and he was soon in front of her door. He pulled out the spare keys she'd given him and exhaled deeply before entering.

The house was dark and quiet, and he made sure to keep light footing to not make the floorboards creak as he maneuvered his way around the contents of her home and crept towards her room. He carefully opened the door and found her sleeping soundly on her side, hugging a portion of her comforter.

A fond smile unknowingly made its way to his lips and he moved towards her like it was instinct.

He hovered over her peaceful face and brushed away stray hairs with his hand, soaking in the joy that seeing her caused him.

Her eyes shot open at the contact and she screamed, jumping to her feet. She was about to throw a punch when Toshinori quickly held his hands up in surrender and yelled, "[Y/n], it's me!"

Her eyes adjusted to the low light and her friend came into focus. "Oh my gosh, Toshi, I almost knocked you out!" She cried and hugged him, and a deep chuckle rumbled from his chest.

"Yeah, right!" He retorted and broke away from her embrace.

[Y/n] had just noticed the tear tracks on his cheeks and her heart dropped.

"Toshi... What's wrong?..." Her fingers ghosted the faded tears and Toshinori swallowed thickly.
"Bad dream." He sheepishly smiled and [Y/n] pursed her lips, guiding him onto her bed.

Once they were laying face to face, [Y/n] summoned the courage to find out what had him so distraught that he felt the need to go to her.

"What was it about?" [Y/n] whispered, eyes searching his for emotion.

Toshinori's mind suddenly swirled with flashbacks and his eyes glassed over, threatening to spill tears once again.

"My master's death." He said simply, trying to maintain his composure.

[Y/n] felt his pain, like it was radiating off him, and she placed a hand on his sunken cheek, rubbing the skin with her thumb.

"Toshi, I... I don't want to say any clichés, like it wasn't your fault and there was nothing you could've done, because I'm sure you'd disagree. But... Just know she died a hero. She died protecting the unsuspecting world, and that's perhaps the most noble death. I just hope... you'll let me share some of your burdens... You're very hard on yourself and I hate it." [Y/n] had squeezed her eyes shut as the words tumbled out of her mouth.

Toshinori was rendered speechless. It was like she knew what to say and more. A heavy weight lifted from his chest and he enveloped her in a hug before she could process what happened.

They didn't exchange any more words, just basked in each other's warmth. The only sounds that could be heard was their even breathing. Soon, Toshinori delved into an unexpected slumber, finally feeling like he could rest easy.

[probably the only angst I'll ever do and it's so mild whoops, ALSO I wrote this before seeing the trailer for his OVA and in that it says exactly what Nana said before passing away but I don't,, want to change it]