Chapter 41: Borders

"There's a legend," she said.

"A legend?" he repeated after her in pure confusion. He tilted his head sideways. He rocked back and forth on his place, which was on the floor. He wasn't as serious as she was. In fact he wasn't serious in the slightest. The young man looked like a confused little child. Lucy always imagined and feared how much her little brother had changed. She always thought of how his personality would change and how he would look as he grew up. She wondered if she would recognize him, but in her dream she immediately knew it was him. Seeing that he never changed one bit was comforting in a way. It made her feel as if they never parted ways in the first place. That she was still in those days where they would eat watermelon with each other and Luffy would get in trouble for it. Those days when they fantasized about becoming pirates. Those days when they would stick together. Those days when all of them were there, healthy and alive.

She couldn't help but feel her heart drop at that thought.

She inhaled and exhaled in an attempt to get a hold of herself. She didn't want to cry. She didn't want to be sad and depressed nor did she plan to. What happened had already been done thus she shouldn't pry over the past. She had to move on, like Luffy had done. Move on, but she would never forget about it. Just like she never forgot about her mother's memories, her father's memories and Ace's memories. Ace's memories.

"One more thing, if you ever find that special someone..."

"If you ever do. Make sure that his kind and worthy of you, which I don't think anybody would be." he gave a small laugh. "He should be able to take care of you properly and love you as much as I and your brothers do. If he ever hurts you just remember to call us no matter where you are."

Lucy never understood what that 'special person' meant, but those words were quite touching.

She never knew what that meant, but now she knew. It hit her like a truck. She knew about Ace's feelings and wanted to hit herself for not noticing. She knew what was meant by special person. She knew and finally understood. Making everything seem even more crestfallen and making it harder to get rid of her sorrowful expression.

"Lucy? Your crying again," Luffy said frowning. "You know that I don't like crybabies."

"That doesn't help," Lucy said wiping the few tears that had fallen. "It's not supposed to. Shouldn't you be telling me about that mystery legend thingy. Crybaby." Luffy frowned. The time being with Luffy in this room, she took the time to explain that she wasn't mad at him. She wasn't resentful in the slightest. He felt relieved to say the least.

"You were crying too just a minute ago, so your a crybaby too. Crying, thank you, Lucy. I'm so glad you don't hate me," she said mimicking Luffy.

Luffy pouted and he looked away, "No. I didn't."

His still a terrible lie. Lucy felt nostalgia as she kept talking and arguing with him. They'd done this multiple times as children, but she never dared to make fun of him before. She changed quite a bit.

It was silent. "Lucy," he said slowly. He looked from the ground to Lucy's eyes. She hummed in response. She was curious as to what he would say and he looked quite serious. Suddenly he smiled bright, "I'm glad that we met again."

Lucy's eyes widened at his response before she as well smiled, "Me too."

Her smile was genuine, but for a second she let sadness slip out of that smile. You shouldn't tell him now, Lucy. His so happy right now. How can I tell him about the legend now and that. I'll tell him later.

Simultaneously the moment Lucy had spoken about the legend, Robin had said something similar to her words. "I happened to come across a Poneglyphs that mentioned an old legend behind the borders," she said recalling the time she found it. "Poneglyph? Lucy's family really was there for that long that they're on the Poneglyphs?"