Chapter 44: Promises

"Hey... Natsu, you said you have magic and all, what can you do?" asked a rather excited Luffy. He didn't have the time to ask or to witness the Mages abilities and they sure didn't have the time themselves to display the Straw Hat pirate's skills. Natsu had a frown plastered on his face. "I'm a-a-a F-fire Dra...dra..." he tried speaking. He wanted to speak without stuttering. He wanted to so badly. Even so his mind was swirling every which way. Thinking of all the previous happenings. He was happy Lucy was healthy as she could be now. Even so, the image of her almost dieing haunted him. His mind was having a war, one would say.

The other side said Lucy was okay and the other showed her limp body. His magic and blood being transferred to her. Her weak self implanted in his brain. An image of her clutching onto her heart as she fell. When Levy told him what happened to her before the spell and after. He imagined her limping. He imagined the pain in her eyes, in her expression and he didn't want to imagine. He didn't want to know. He couldn't imagine how much pain she was in. He himself was on the brink of dying, so many times. He knew that, but still he never wanted to hear that Lucy would go through the same as he did. No matter how selfish it sounded, but only he would be the one to put his life on the line. Only he was allowed to feel pain, because he didn't want Lucy to go through that. He didn't know if she felt that way, but even if she did he would be selfish. He didn't want her to feel like how he felt. It was a confusing and ridiculous thought as well as ideal. Even so he wanted so strongly for that to be the way everything works.

"Oh, I forgot. You can't talk right now. I heard fire. Do you have fire powers?!" Luffy exclaimed as one would say there were stars in his eyes. He had his big wide grin on as it reached ear to ear. Natsu just nodded slowly. If it wasn't for his weak self he would be just as ecstatic as the Straw Hat pirate was in front of him.

He would be showing off his magic if it wasn't for his weak magic energy. It had to build up once more, so he didn't need to worry about loosing his magic in one go. Chopper explained everything to him, the only risk was that it might've killed Lucy instead of helping her.

"Cool! My brother, Ace had fire powers too," he said and Natsu was caught off guard by that statement. Not because he could use fire like him. If that were the case then he would be shocked every single day of his life in Fiore. The thought was tiring for one to think of. The reason he was caught of guard was the one single word, Ace.

"A-ace," he repeated. Surprisingly the word came out right and he made a note that small words came out easier. Luffy nodded with enthusiasm and the grin on his face never ceased. In those two years of training he also mentally trained himself not to be downcast at the mention of his deceased brother. He would be down at times, but it never stopped his energetic self.

"Ace ate the Flare-Flare fruit and could produce fire!"

Thoughts and questions began to swirl like a tornado. All of those broken pieces inside that tornado slowly put itself together. "Ace, was a great older brother to me and Lucy. Though he died two years ago..."

Brother? The name she mentioned was her brother, Ace.

"Oh." was all that could be said. I completely misunderstood the situation. Wait, was I jealous...?

Luffy's grin turned into a smile, "Lucy never knew that Ace died. Two years ago. I'm sure... Lucy would find some way to cry and blame herself. I don't like crybabies," he said as he frowned, "but Lucy's an exception. There was this day where I made three promises that made the exception."

Wails of a child could be heard. Beside the blonde child was a younger looking boy with raven hair. He looked panicked not knowing how to calm the fragile young girl in front of him. "Lucy stop cryi-"