Chapter Nine

Chloe's P.O.V

What was a little strange to me was how Luke walked with me to my next class. He seemed so warm and genuine, making me feel confused inside and too awkward to respond back. So naturally, I didn't speak to him‒not even during theatre appreciation. I was surprised that he even decided to sit next to me again, and I realize it was probably because he felt obligated to since he would think I would be "alone."

Class went by rather seamlessly, with the few exceptions of Jess making remarks about how much she hated the class while the professor spoke, and I just sat there calmly doing what I normally did: quietly listening to the professor while diligently taking notes.

After the class I did not hesitate to take off at the first opportunity I could. I needed to go back to my dorm, eat dinner, and do some homework.

When I walked in my dorm, Hailee was already in the kitchen making ramen noodles.

"Want some?" she asked, taking the spoon out of her mouth and pointed it at the small pot on the stove top.

"Sure," I smiled and dropped my backpack onto the floor near the couch. I went into my room, quickly changed into my favorite pajama pants and oversized t-shirt and plopped myself onto the floor in front of the couch in the living room.

I took my notebooks and computer out of my backpack and set them up on the coffee table. I was now prepared to finish the last, annoying chemistry problem and then start on calculus.

"Here you go," Hailee grinned as she handed me a warm bowl of ramen with a spoon. Her tight, dark curls fell in her eyes as she bent over.

"Thank you," I smiled as I happily took it from her hands and set it beside my laptop.

"What are you working on?" Hailee asked as she sat on the couch, tucking her legs beneath her.

"Chemistry homework," I responded after taking my first bite of the ramen. It was absolutely delicious‒especially since I hadn't eaten lunch.

She rolled her eyes, pushing up her glasses. "Come on, Chloe. Quit being an overachiever and lighten up a little. You have plenty of time to do the homework, not to mention that we have Luke and Kason to help."

"I don't think they'll be a big help, Hailee," I said as I logged into my account and pulled up the chemistry homework. I was still stuck on the same problem as last time. What frustrated me was how I was almost finished with my homework, all but this one‒stinkin'‒problem.

"Sure, they will," Hailee said as she sipped a spoonful of the broth. "Are you just worried about chemistry because the professor pointed you out in class?" she cocked her eyebrow.

My heart dropped just thinking about what happened earlier. It was so embarrassing. "No..."

"Ha ha!" Hailee laughed as she covered her mouth so that the broth wouldn't spew out of her mouth. "You have to admit what happened was hilarious."

"I don't recall thinking it was funny," I said, feeling myself tense up. My mind flashed back to Kason. "It also didn't help how obnoxious Kason was being either."

"Pfft, nah," Hailee waved her hand. "What Kason was doing was pretty smooth on his part. He was only trying to get your phone number."

I began to blush. "No, he wasn't." There could possibly be no way that Kason's ulterior motive was to get my phone number. That seemed a little too smart.

"Chloe, that guy is so into you that I bet he'll end up texting you before the night is over," Hailee slurped on her noodles.

"I bet he won't," I cocked my eyebrow as I stared at the problem and scribbled it down in my notebook.