Chapter Thirty

Chloe's P.O.V

I sat in my room wondering how I would confess my feelings for Luke. It wasn't long before the Halloween frat party. The Halloween frat party...I could confess my feelings for him there. The more I thought about it, the better it seemed. We would be hanging out the entire time anyway, so perhaps at the end of the night I could tell him. Perfect.

I smiled as I laid on my bed staring up at the ceiling, my hands resting on my stomach.

I heard a rapping on my bedroom door. "Chloe?" Hailee said, her voice muffled. "I have a question to ask you."

I sat up from my bed and sighed, running my hands through my hair. I didn't necessarily want to speak to her right now. I wanted space, but she was my best friend. I couldn't stay mad at her for very long. "Yeah?"

"Can I come in?" she asked.

"Sure," I said.

The door opened, and Hailee walked in uneasily, like she could feel the tension between us. "Sorry about earlier, Chloe," she said and sat on the edge of my bed. "I know it hurt your feelings when I had brought up the Miss Piggy thing."

All of the sudden it was hard for me to swallow. She made it seem like that was the only thing that upset me. "I'd prefer it if you never mentioned it again," I said and stared at the floor.

"Well anyway, I wanted to come in and ask you if you wanted to go shopping for costumes with Chloe Marshall, Heather Bates, and me tomorrow," she smiled, resuming back to her old self as if nothing happened between us.

"NO," I said louder than I meant as soon as the words came out of her mouth. Why would I want to subject myself to such torture? I would be better off hanging out with Prick–and that was saying a lot.

"Come on, Chloe, it'll be fun," Hailee whined.

"Sure it will," I muttered.

Hailee rolled her eyes and grabbed my hands. "Why don't you come with us rather than being all alone in your dorm room?"

I jerked my hands away, not thinking that it could be taken offensively. She knew I hated being alone. Even when I was studying by myself I felt a certain emptiness around the room. Perhaps I was just too used to being around my family all the time. There was always someone nearby but here...I was all alone... "Fine..." I muttered. "I'll go."

Hailee squealed and hugged me. "Great! I'll text Chloe Marshall and Heather Bates that you said yes! Trust me, Chloe, you won't regret coming with us."

I hope I don't, I thought to myself.

––––––––––

"I like your makeup, Claire–if I can call you Claire that is," Marshall said, looking at Hailee and I pile into her car in her rearview mirror.

It was a little confusing since there were two of us, and at this point I really didn't mind being called by my last name. "Thank you, and of course you can," I smiled lightly as I looked outside of the car and watched several college students go to their cars in the dorm parking lot.

"Good," Heather said.

I didn't know how to take Heather saying 'good,' especially since the way she said it wasn't exactly polite, but I guessed it didn't matter anyway as long as I acted unaffected by it. "So...where are we going to shop for costumes?" I asked. "Party City?"

"I thought about Party City, but I also thought about Spirit Halloween, ABZ Rental, or Primadonnas," Marshall said as we pulled out of the dorm parking lot and down the road.