Chapter Twenty-five

Chloe's P.O.V

That night I dreamed of the past. I dreamed of the days when Luke and I were inseparable, goofing off in Mrs. Mayfield's class. I remembered for our spelling tests we would take turns drawing on each other's tests. One would start by drawing the head, the other would draw the eyes, and we would continue that pattern until we created a silly creature that brought both of us reeling with laughter. We named one of our creatures, "Lolli-jolli Man" who had the look of some evil cartoon character. He was our absolute favorite one out of all of them that we drew. Mrs. Mayfield would walk around the classroom looking at everyone's spelling tests, and when she got to ours she would always laugh and ask us what inspired us to draw these characters. The worst part of remembering the past in dreams was the moment I woke up, wishing I could turn back time and return to those moments. Everything was simpler back then.

Luke and I ended up doing well on the theatre appreciation exam, and it came as no surprise when we both made one-hundreds. Even though Luke struggled a little more in that class, he worked hard, and it showed in his results. I was almost a little bit jealous of his ability to succeed.

I was doing chemistry homework one Thursday evening when my phone buzzed. I found myself grinning stupidly to myself thinking it was Luke.

Kason: Hey Chloe. I know it's getting late, but I was wondering if you would want to hang out.

I found it odd that Kason texted me asking me to hang out. We rarely texted each other and when we did, it was mainly about homework. I looked at my homework problems left and sighed. I had about fifteen problems left, but I should relax. It wasn't even due until next week. I deserved to take a break sometimes. I texted him back.

Me: Sure! What do you plan on doing?

Kason: I just thought that we should hang out and watch a movie. Unless you don't want to.

Well that was unexpected. At first, I didn't know what to say, but I remembered that I needed to relax, preferably with a friend.

Me: Sounds pretty good to me!

Kason: My dorm room is D4. Meet you there in five minutes!

Me: See you then!

I saved my progress on my laptop, closed it, and got up from my desk. I looked in my mirror to see if I looked okay and saw a short girl wearing her favorite Batman shirt and yoga pants in my reflection. I shrugged. I guessed Kason would just have to accept the fact that I was a lazy dresser.

I took only my wallet and car keys and went out of my dorm quietly, not daring disturb Hailee. This was the first time she was actually hanging out at home this week and she just wanted to chill and be left alone. I didn't blame her. I got that way sometimes, but ultimately, I never wanted to be alone. It frightened me more than people could ever know.

I went upstairs only to see several Alabama football players talking in the hallway. I didn't know who they were, so I guessed they were second or third string players, but it made me nervous all the same. I didn't like the looks they were giving me as I walked towards them. One of them snickered and I could only imagine what he could be thinking. All of my insecurities rushed to me, but I needed to stay strong. I had to walk past them in order to get to Kason's dorm.

"Excuse me," I said as I stood before them. They were standing directly in my way.

"You're excused," the one who snickered said.

I scrunched my eyebrows as I weaved through them. "Incompetent idiot," I muttered as I passed him.

"What was that?" he raised his eyebrows and cracked his knuckles. The guy was at least five-eleven with dark hair and a crooked nose.