Chapter Twelve

Luke's P.O.V

Kason and I walked to chemistry and I couldn't help but feel a little nervous. It was the day we would study for the chemistry exam, and I wondered how it would turn out. All I had to do was glance at Kason to be able to tell how ecstatic he was about the whole thing.

"Hey Luke," Hailee waved her fingers at me like she was playing a piano. She propped her elbow on the table and rested her pointed chin on her knuckle. Her thin lips curled into a smile.

"Hey Hailee," I said as I sat a seat away from her, keeping Chloe in mind. "How was your day?"

Hailee pushed up her glasses up her thin nose and rolled her eyes. "Rather boring." She smiled, "But I am excited about the study group tonight."

"So am I," Kason grinned.

I looked over at the auditorium entrance to see Chloe walk in, and I immediately perked up. I loved the way her hair was naturally wavy, resembling a waterfall cascading down her shoulders. She carefully walked up the steps, tucking a strand of her honey colored hair behind her ear and looked up to meet my eyes.

Fuck.

"Oh, hey Chloe," Kason smiled sheepishly.

"Hey Kason," she smiled slightly, her eyes quickly darting from mine and looking straight at Kason, refusing to look in my direction.

She slowly sat down, and got out all her notebooks, pencils, pens, and erasers. It seemed a little unnecessary to have all that stuff, but what did I know? She was clearly one of the smartest–most likely smartest–girls that I knew.

Kason got out his notebook and sighed with frustration. "Dammit."

A look of concern spread across Chloe's face as her eyes widened. "What is it?" she asked.

"I must've lost my damn pencil," he grumbled.

I cocked an eyebrow at him. I might be oblivious, but I wasn't stupid. He had a pencil for our calculus class so what changed in between then and now? He must be up to something.

"You can borrow one of mine," she offered, shrugging her shoulders.

"Thanks," he quickly responded as he grabbed the pencil from her hands, a little too anxiously I might also add.

I pursed my lips and nodded slightly, starting to understand the situation. What are you getting so worked up over Luke? She doesn't like you. Calm. The hell. Down.

I could feel myself getting more irritated as the class went on. Kason refused to shut up throughout the lecture while I trying to take notes. He kept talking to Chloe, telling her cheesy puns and making fun of the professor, causing her to giggle. I kept telling myself that I should stop getting so worked up over nothing. Besides, I could still walk with her to our next class.

Except that we didn't.

"Do you want to walk together?" I asked with hopeful eyes, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

I saw the way it made her uncomfortable, as she started playing with her hands nervously and tapping her foot against the ground. "I kinda can't right now," she murmured. "I have to go somewhere else beforehand, but I'll see you in class?" she winced.

"Yeah, sure," I smiled, feeling slightly recovered from the hurt it felt from her simply rejecting my offer to walk with her. At least she said she would see me in class.

I walked inside of theatre appreciation with Jess chewing her gum happily. "Sup Luke," she grinned. "I was at the game Saturday night, and I wanted to congratulate you on your first touchdown of the season."