Chapter Eleven

Luke's P.O.V

I got out of the booth, glancing over at Chloe, who looked rather unhappy for some reason, but I shouldn't be surprised. She looked unhappy around me most of the time, which pained me more than anyone could imagine. I wanted to make her smile, but sometimes I wondered if that was even possible.

After our coffee break, everyone finished up their homework and we parted ways. Thanks to Chloe, I found a reason not to procrastinate on homework for the first time.

I walked back to my dorm, one hand in my pocket with my backpack slung over my shoulder. I wished I brought up the halftime show, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My favorite part was when they played "You Can't Hurry Love" by Phil Collins. I stayed a little longer outside the locker rooms just to hear the halftime show, and earned a good yelling from our offensive coordinator, but it was all worth it.

I opened the door to find Jacob sitting on the couch playing on the Xbox, who didn't even bother looking in my direction. He was probably too focused on the game to pay attention to anything else.

I went inside of my room and set down my backpack near my desk. I looked around the room to make sure everything was just the way I left it: clean and neat. I hated having a messy bedroom–or anything for that matter.

"Oh fuck!" I heard Jacob cry out. I knew from his cry that he just died in a Call of Duty game, which happened frequently.

I sighed and crawled into my small bed, propping my head against my arm, which laid flat on my pillow. I stared up at the ceiling at posters of famous Alabama football players, and smiled thinking about what Chloe said to me earlier.

"Congratulations on making a touchdown Saturday night. You were really impressive," she had said.

I grinned and rested my hand on my abdomen, pleased with myself. I couldn't believe that she complimented me. I would do anything in order to make it happen again, although it was a little odd that she even complimented me. Chloe was confusing as hell. One moment, there were glimmers of hope that we could be friends again, and then the next, she acted like she hated me. She was a little frustrating, especially since I didn't know what I did wrong in the first place.

I remembered back to sixth grade, wondering what went wrong. It was something I did every so often. I looked back on the memories together and nothing seemed to add up. We were perfectly fine–until we weren't. I racked my brain trying to come up with ways I could've offended her, but there was nothing. Literally nothing.

Just stop it, Luke. Chloe doesn't want to be friends with you and you just have to accept that. Except that I couldn't accept it. It was like this stupid game with myself over the past six years, guessing what happened to our friendship. I tried forgetting her. I tried acting like not being her friend was okay, but when I thought about her laughter, her beautiful brown eyes, and her weird sense of humor, it brought me back to square one. I even prayed to God, hoping He would somehow make me stop whatever it was that made me feel this way about her. Since she didn't like me, I tried staying away from her, taking glances from afar. I told myself that I could like other girls, even date other girls, but I always went back to square one. And I hated it.

Why don't you find out why she hates you? My subconscious asked me.

A part of me feared the reaction it would cause, but the other part left me wondering if it could work. Whatever it was, we could bounce back from.

My heart thumped nervously, but a smile was plastered on my face. I took my phone out and stared at Chloe's phone number. I sighed. I desperately wanted to text her, but I would have to wait. We weren't friends... yet.