Chapter Thirty-two

Chloe's P.O.V

My throat closed up and my eyes started to well with tears. I didn't even bother to watch them more than just the first few seconds before I turned around and pushed through the crowd.

"Chloe!" I heard someone call out as I ran as fast as I could through the crowd.

My mind raced as I ran around the corner and up the stairs. The only thing occupying my mind was to get somewhere safe.

I began opening the doors upstairs, finding Heather and the vampire guy making out on a bed in one of the many rooms I checked.

"Sorry," was all I was able to muster out before shutting the door and searching for another available room. It didn't take long before I found a quiet, empty room and shut the door. My back slid down against the door as I sat down on the floor, pulled my knees up to my face and began to cry.

I wasn't the kind of girl who cried easily–or at least I tried not to be. My heart felt beyond pained as I sat in the bedroom floor and tears poured from my eyes. I couldn't believe what I just witnessed. Luke Armstrong with another girl, and not just any girl. It was Jessica. It took only a few seconds for me to realize who the girl was. She was skinny, petite, and with long, dark hair.

I wiped my eyes and shook my head. I still couldn't believe it. The moment replayed in my mind over and over again: Jessica crawling into his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck, and kissing his soft, pink lips.

"Stupid," I muttered to myself as I sniffed. "Chloe Claire you are stupid! You actually believed for a second that...someone like Luke Armstrong...could e-ever...ever like a girl...l-like you."

"Chloe?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

I hiccupped and turned to the door. "Who is it?" I asked.

"It's me...Kason..."

I quickly wiped my eyes and pulled myself up from the floor. I couldn't let Kason see me like this. "I-I'm not here," I said quietly, immediately wanting me to bang my head against the wall. What kind of stupid thing to say is that? He already knows it's me!

He chuckled. "Come on, Chloe, I already know it's you. Just open the door."

I sniffed again and wiped my eyes frantically before opening the door.

Kason stood outside of the door with a pirate costume on. "Arrgh you alright?" he asked and then burst into laughter.

I laughed a little. "Kason that was a horrible pun and you know it."

"I know, but I've been waiting all night trying to do one, so I couldn't pass up this opportunity," he grinned.

I rolled my eyes and sniffed.

His face went from humored to serious. "Are you alright, Chloe?" he asked, his face clearly concerned for my wellbeing.

"Yeah," I blatantly lied.

"Don't you dare lie to me, Chloe," Kason said as he walked into the room. He sat on the bed and patted it. "Here, sit next to me and tell me what's wrong."

I sighed and carefully climbed on top of the bed next to him. "Well..."

"Well...? I'm listening..."

I wondered if I should actually tell Kason what was wrong or not. I decided on not telling him the truth. I didn't want to bother him. "It's nothing really. I just have a little anxiety at parties like these."

"You have anxiety?" he asked suddenly.

"N-no, not that I know of."

"From what I can see you do have anxiety. It seems to be pretty serious whether you believe it or not. You should get that checked out," Kason smiled as warmly as he could. He watched my expression carefully. "You don't have to try to act like you don't have any problems because I can clearly see that you do. What are friends for if they're no good when the other is in pain?"

"Well that's nice to hear," I joked a little. I couldn't believe I was hearing this from Kason, the guy who I was used to goofing off with in chemistry class–the guy who moments ago made a stupid pun.

Kason smiled. "I like your costume by the way. It's nerdy, just like you."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" I cocked my head at him. Kason was rather nice to hang around. He helped keep me from thinking about what happened moments ago. He was a great distraction.

"In my terms it is," he grinned, his adorable dimples showing. His grin slowly faded, and he began to twist nervously. "I hope I don't sound too weird about what I'm about to say..." he trailed off. Even in the dark I could see that he was blushing.

Just seeing him blush made me blush too. "If it's another pirate pun I think I'm done," I laughed nervously, not knowing what to do with myself. Kason had never blushed around me before and that tone of voice...It was softer than usual...What the heck was going on?

"It's not another pirate pun I swear," he smiled slightly, using his fingers to draw out an 'X' over his heart.

"Okay then. Go on," I said slowly, watching his face.

Kason scratched his head nervously, his dark brown eyes meeting mine. "I j-just had been thinking about us lately. I had talked with Gunther earlier about it–"

Gunther? As in the Gunther I just met right before I walked into the frat house? That Gunther?

"–and I have just got to go ahead and say it. I like you, Chloe Claire, and some part of me believes that you like me, too."

I was astonished by his words. I did like him, but not the same way he liked me. Or did I? I didn't know what to say or do but sit there. Kason was really good-looking, funny, and kind. There was something about his presence that made me feel at ease. But to think that he liked me like that. It was surprising to say the least. I hated to admit it, but Hailee was right...She was right all along...about everything...

"Say something, Chloe," Kason's voice faltered. I could tell he was a ball of nervous energy. It would be cruel to lead him on like this.

I thought about Luke and the way Jessica kissed him. I winced. For a second, I thought that Luke liked me, but clearly, I was wrong–so wrong. It was my fault for allowing myself to believe in this pathetic lie. Hailee had warned me. She even said that I should give Kason a chance. So here I was, giving him a chance. "I like you, too," I said uneasily, trying my best to put on a warm smile.

"Really?" Kason asked, his nervous expression slowly fading.

"Really," I nodded, looking him right in his warm brown eyes.

Oh dear lord. What have I gotten myself into?

Oh dear lord what has our Chloe Claire gotten herself into? Tell me in the comments below! I would also like to thank everyone who has continued reading  this story! It really means a lot!