Chapter Forty-three

Luke's P.O.V

Thanksgiving was supposed to be a time where I could spend time and connect with family, but my mind and body wasn't having it. As usual, Jacob was at our Thanksgiving dinner like he did every year since his family didn't celebrate because of his sorry for an excuse of a dad. Jacob would elbow me and tell me to lighten up, but I couldn't. Even my sisters thought something was wrong with me.

I went back to school with my heart heavy and my mind clouded. I stared at the text from Chloe that she sent me days ago.

Chloe: Happy Thanksgiving Luke!

I knew I should've replied to her, but I was busy at the time and then time seemed to slip away from me until I felt like it was too late to respond.

That week I trained harder for our playoff game on Saturday, trying to keep my mind away from Chloe. Normally we would've had class except our chemistry and theatre appreciation class let us out until the final day of our exam. That would be the final time we meet. I hated thinking that I wouldn't get to see Chloe until then, but maybe it was for the better. I wouldn't have to see Chloe and Kason together.

During football practices I couldn't help but notice how distant Kason was from me. I thought it was the other way around, but apparently, he didn't want me near me as much as I didn't want to be near him.

What was even weirder was how Hailee kept texting me every day. I understood that we were friends, but were we really that good of friends? I didn't think so. I could understand if she asked me about chemistry homework, but it wasn't even about that. She asked me about Thanksgiving and how she and her family went on a cruise. Fun.

I was in my room about to head over to football practice when my phone buzzed on my desk. I picked it up to see:

Chloe: Hey Luke! Do you have time to meet up? I kinda need to talk to you about something.

Talk to me about something? I looked at the time. At this rate I was going to be late, but at the same time I really wanted to hear what she had to say.

Me: Sorry, Chloe about not answering your text earlier. I got really busy and then once I had the chance to respond I thought it would be awkward to text back a couple days later. I have to go to football practice. Do you want to talk about it later?

Chloe: Oh, that's okay, and sure! When would be a good time?

I thought about it for a minute. Tomorrow was the big game, so I knew I couldn't do that then. I had to travel across the country that entire day and then come back Sunday night and review our game. So, the next two days were automatically taken up. I thought about Monday, except that I had three exams to take that day so that was a big no, and then there was Tuesday, the day I took my chemistry and theater appreciation exam. Tuesday was officially my last day of school for the semester, so maybe after my exams I could talk to her then?

Me: What about Tuesday after our exams?

Chloe: Sounds good except that I need to go somewhere immediately after our final exam. You can meet me up at my dorm about an hour after?

Me: Okay! Sounds like a plan :)

Chloe: See you then :)

I smiled, my heart fluttering a little. At least I would get to see one last time before we inevitably split for the rest of the semester. Just thinking about next semester without her in any of my classes was starting to hurt.

The following days are absolutely insane. Just from winning our playoff games made me exhausted and excited, knowing that we had a chance to go to the National Championship. Better yet, it was just my freshman year and the team had about made their way to the championships. We were on our way to winning another title and that filled me with excitement. Monday was crazy for me as I had to do three exams, praying that I at least got a B on each since I barely had any time to study because of the game.