Chapter Twenty-one

Chloe's P.O.V

As I walked up the steps in the auditorium of my chemistry class, I looked to see Luke smiling down at me. I smiled back at him, thinking about how he was a pizza hog.

"Hey Chloe," Luke, Hailee and Kason said as I sat down in my seat between Luke and Hailee.

"Hey guys," I smiled. I could tell today was going to be a good day. When I woke up that morning I felt lighter and happier than usual, and it showed in my clothing, hair, and makeup. I wore a navy-blue top with ruffled sleeves, white pants and sandals. Since I had a little extra time that morning, I went ahead and curled my hair.

"I like your hair," Kason pointed out.

"Thanks," I smiled. I quickly analyzed him. "I like your shirt," I laughed.

Kason looked down to see that he was wearing a Bama shirt and laughed with me. "Oh thanks, they're my favorite sports team in case you didn't know," he smirked.

"Hey, you copied me from Saturday!" I squinted my eyes at him and folded my arms.

Kason shrugged while smiling, his dimples apparent on his cheeks.

"So, what did you guys make on your chemistry exam?" Hailee's eyebrows shot up in curiosity.

I bit my lip. I didn't want to be the one who went first.

"I made an eighty-two," Kason grinned, obviously proud of himself. "I couldn't have done it without your help, Chloe," he scratched his head bashfully.

"I may have helped just a little, but you're the one who put in the work," I smiled. I knew how much it meant to Kason that he scored an eighty-two. He usually didn't study, and it was rewarding to see that his hard work paid off.

"No, seriously Chloe, I couldn't have done it without you," his tone became more serious and his eyes softened.

I blinked and swallowed, feeling myself blush a little. I didn't know what it was about that look that made my heart thump a little harder, but it just seemed abnormal since it was Kason. Kason.

Hailee scoffed and inspected her blue painted finger nails. "I made a ninety-six," she smirked as she looked over in my direction.

I scrunched my eyebrows and cocked my head. Why was she acting like she was hot stuff? Just because she made a higher score than Kason? That was just flat-out rude. I wanted to one up her and brag about my one-hundred, but I knew that would make me no better than her. I didn't want to stoop down to her level.

"So, Luke," she said, her tone completely changed as she sat up straighter and pushed up her glasses along her thin nose, "what did you make?"

Luke smiled sheepishly. He didn't want to say what he made either. There was something about that I respected. He was humble and self-aware about how it could make others feel. He didn't want others to feel insignificant to him, and I appreciated it. Or at least that was how I understood it.

"Actually, I'd rather not say," he said as he folded his arms and leaned against the table, looking away from everyone.

"Why? Was it worse than me?" Kason asked.

There was silence.

Kason cocked his eyebrow as I saw the sudden realization strike his dark brown eyes. "You made a fucking one-hundred, didn't you?" he asked–more like stated.

I was alarmed by Kason's language in this instance. I couldn't tell if Kason was annoyed with the possibility that Luke made a one-hundred or not.