CHAPTER 6: The Barrier

J u n e 2nd:
6 days before the tragedy.

9:45 a.m.

Once I knew everything was going according to plan, I stared at the window, to make sure I knew Chara was gone and out of sight. I hopped up out of the chair once I saw her stomp away in fury at such little words, and begun to get dressed. My usual attire, actuality, the clothes I wore yesterday; I'm too lazy to do laundry at the moment. I was too excited.

I quickly sprang for my keys, rushing out of the door to my car. "This is a dangerous move." I mumbled to myself as the engine roared to life. "Eh." I sighed, "what the hell?" I said casually, shifting the car into drive and sped down the road. I grabbed my notepad and pencil out of the glove box with a slight struggle. My homemade device was in the passenger seat. I drove down the road in silence, filled with my own thoughts.

If this plan really works, I might just be able to go into the underground! I might be able to go in there myself and analyze the samples there! Oh! What wonder!

I reached the side of the mountain in less than ten minutes due to my excited speeding. My car was parked at the end of Mt. Ebott, and I looked up at the tall mountain where Chara came out of.

I'll go in through there. That has to be the entrance. How come we've never seen it before? It's a cave on top of a mountain.

I started my hiking along the mountain after I had turned off my car and grabbed my many things that were required for my scientific gathering of data. Dr. Hudson is going to be so proud of my data once I collect it all! After he kills me, of course for going near Ebott.

The trees were dense and thick, almost eerie. The thick green leaves would seem to have a peaceful approach, however, it seemed like this mountain was only full of dread. The trees were weeping of death. The June heat was hot as it came down upon me, I was surprised the grand oak trees weren't dying yet. The drought of last spring had been so long already, the plants were not prepared for the June heat.

Reaching the top, a slight breeze went by, cooling my arms and torso through the sweater. Looking into the abyss of a cave, it grew cooler the more I neared it. It's like the heat signatures had never existed on my heat graph back in the lab! It was so cold just here.
As if to seem like a real cave.

Squinting more, I could see vague resemblances of polished, smooth marble, creating the walls and floors of the "cave". It was decorated with orange and white, almost as if royalty had used to live there. I could see the dust that Chara was talking about spread in a pile at the end of the room where the marble wears into rock. "If there was truly nothing here.." I said, talking aloud to myself, "then why does it look like people used to live here? Stone cannot be polished into marble and time through natural causes! Not in a cave at least!" I exclaimed, looking deeper.

I took a step forward into the cave. Well— more like tried to. I attempted to take a step forward, but was stopped. My body knocked into something large and powerful. "What the—?"I tried to say, pressing my hands on it.

Once I took a step back to regain my posture, a faint gleam of light was shown reflecting across this barrier-type field. I pressed my hands on it, feeling the warmth of the light and the coolness of the cave. I pressed harder, trying to push though the barrier to reach the depths of the cave. "How did Chara get past this?" I asked myself aloud. "More like how was this created?" I asked, running my finger along what felt like a smooth surface of glass. "We don't have technology like this." I grinned, pulling my small device out of my bag and turning it on.

Pointing the device towards the object only light could see, my device went crazy, making beeps and alarmed sounds like crazy. It had never seen this before! Along the screen read 'MULTIPLE UNKNOWN SOURCES' in all caps, listing how many exactly there were just standing here. "7" I read. "7 unknown sources lie on this ... thing." I said, unable to name the object in front of me. "I suppose a barrier would fit the title." I said casually.

This could change a lot of things! I need to report this as soon as possible! This could be our first goals to getting holographic technology! To discovering more on the periodic table! This could expand our horizon of knowledge by tenfold if we're lucky!

I ran my hands along it once more, grinning and inhaling the fresh air on top of the mountain. "Frisk?" A voice called behind me. I whipped my head around in fear, for some reason. It's not like I wasn't allowed up here, I was nervous. "Frisk? I thought you were at home!" Chara said from in the forest line.

"I could ask you the same thing, Chara." I said, narrowing my eyes. "Why did you say there was nothing in here?!" I yelled at her. "There's clearly polished marbled tiles beyond this cave! That doesn't happen naturally!" I pointed out, pressing my hands against the 'barrier' once more. "I want to know what's beyond here."

"You're..." Chara said, shaking her head. "You need to go." She said, growling. "Dr. Hudson already said you weren't allowed to be here for more research. You could easily be taken off of the department head." She said. "Go home."

"I could say the same for you!" I said to Chara. "If I'm not allowed up here, neither are you!" I yelled. "What are you doing here anyways?!" I asked, narrowing my eyes and easing my voice even more. "Why did you lie to me?!" I yelled. "You KNEW how important this was for me! You KNEW! So WHY are you keeping me from it?!" I yelled, she looked around with skeptical eyes.

"Calm down!" She said, shushing me. "Do you want all of Ebott to hear you?!" She whisper-yelled. "I didn't lie to you! You see the dust! Now get back home! Use your time off! Take a fucking break Frisk! Leave this fucking project alone!" She said, putting her hand on the barrier as well. "This is a lost cause. Just leave this place alone!" She yelled.

"I will never give up on this." I said, determined. "Never." I emphasized even more. "If you want to try and stop me, fine. Be by guest." I said. "You don't have to be with me on anything but so help me, Chara, if you screw this up for me, I'll be sure to get you back, mark my words." I said sternly. "You were up for this before you went down into that cave. After you came out you were suddenly against it!" I yelled. "What the hell changed?!"

"Nothing changed!" She said. "Humans will ruin this! Humans will take advantage of this!" She said. "They are greedy and they are cowards!" She said, throwing her arms up in the air. "And if you want to start the fucking gold mine again, then I leave this with open fucking arms!" She said, walking away. "By all means! Go ahead!" She yelled. "I'd kill to stop someone from going in there. So test me." She said, walking back down the mountain.

I could only let out a huff of fury and threw my arms around. I wanted her to understand! I wanted her to know what I felt about this! My discovery! It's not fair she's keeping me in the dark! Yes! New elements and therefore scientists and civilians will come to see, but isn't that all apart of the fun?!

I could care less about Chara's threats. I'm going to uncover the secrets of this amazing place. And once I do, only then will I report it to be published. If I want it to be kept a secret, that's up to me.