CHAPTER 18: Attack

Time: Unknown.
How many days have I been down here? All of the time is blurring together.

"Mmhm." She hummed, grinning as I turned around to face her. She had the same smile she has always had. Wide and long.

"Ch—." I tried to say here name as another bead of sweat fell down my neck. Why was I this nervous? I felt like I've seen this before.

Her arm extended swiftly, knocking my chest back. With a gasp, the world slowed as I tried to take a step back from the hard shove. I lost my footing, stepping into only emptiness as Chara's figure quickly vanished from the top of the ledge. The ground covered her mechanical laughter as I fell deeper, silently, as my mind couldn't even comprehend what had just happened in that swift moment.

"That'll teach you to never take advantage of me, Frisk." She said, snapping. "Like I said, I'd kill to keep this place a secret." She giggled. "Rot down there. DIE!" She screamed as the fall seemed like forever. "I was NEVER your friend. Kiss those memories goodbye. Welcome to the gates of regret." Her eyes seemed to glow in the darkness as she peered down to watch my fall. "You should have kept me in that room while you had the chance."

Jolting awake at a fairly unpleasant dream, my heart raced and my eyes were wide awake. "Oh man.." I sighed, pressing my palm against my forehead, feeling the cold sweat dripping down my face. My breathing was erratic and unstable, I was hysterical for a faint moment. "Oh man." I repeated, sighing loudly and rolling over into my side on the other end of the bed. "Oh man." I said, a third time.

My room was dark. The lights were all off, and it was particularly hot in the room. My heart was calming down, and the shaking was beginning to stop as soon as I realized it was just a mere dream. "I knew I was upset about it, but I didn't think I was THAT upset!" I sighed. "Oh man. Oh jeeze."

I don't know what to say. I don't know what to think. That was pretty cruel of me to relive that.

"Oh man." I sighed for the last time. Staying in the darkness of my room. "Why is it so hot in here??" I said, turning back over to the other side of the bed on my back. I glanced at the digital clock that was in front of me and read the time aloud, grumbling slightly. "2:45 am." I growled.

Suddenly, a loud ripping noise was heard, and Once I turned fully, my back pressed up against something I wasn't quite sure what it was. And it definitely wasn't there a moment ago when I previously lied there. It was hard, and narrow. My back curled when it pressed up against it. "What the—?" I said, looking over at the light blur in the midst of the darkness.

It was smooth and long, it extended up and just touched the ceiling, while the lower end went into the mattress, where stuffing was ripped out and around it. With a confused look, I backed up, shifting my weight and sinking back into the mattress, facing the small structure with a half lidded stare. "What—?" I asked myself, feeling the smooth surface of the white cylinder. "—IS this?" I asked myself, knocking on it twice, only to figure out it was not hollow.
I sat up in the bed, squinting at the thing that happened to be right where I was previously sleeping. "That could have impaled me." I said, half asleep. "What the HELL??" I asked, slapping it slightly.

That could have been me if I hadn't woken up! And wait— why are the lights off? I could have sworn I left them on...?

Crawling out of the bed via the other side, I made my way towards the heater, which had been turned on high in the night. I turned it off, feeling my hot, melted shoes that were next to it. "Damn it!" I yelled, knowing I would have to trek through the deep snow in the morning. "Damn it all!" I complained.

I made my way to the lights, and turned them on, looking at the bed in awe. A while pillar of some sort, seemed to grow up from under my bed— no. A bone?

I leaned against the wall for support in a pondering state, quickly, a light emitted from the wall, and not just the ceiling light. Turning, I looked at the wall with confusion, crossing my arms, and then uncrossing them, looking into the bright blue circle of light that had emerged there. What was the source? What was it made of? I quickly reached for my device, which was on the nightstand across the room. As soon as I took a step away from the wall, a while object shot from the inside of the wall, causing cracks and debris to fly out of the wall.

My eyes widened, and I screamed loudly. Another light appeared from above the ceiling directly overhead where I stood. I quickly evaded the strike just before another bone came through the now damaged ceiling.

My eyes widened in terror again, and I struggled to get the door opened. My heart was racing, and I rushed down the stairs in a hurry, leaving my melted shoes behind for the better. I didn't need them. It was that, or I risked being impaled for useless rubber puddles.

I ran down the stairs, stumbling over my own feet and catching myself on the railing of the wooden architecture. My breathing was hysterical as another light came from the wall below me, and one next to me. I bolted down them once again, tripping over the bone that ripped through the wallpaper and drywall of the old building as I stumbled down in a rush. I fell into the rug that covered the wide gaps in the wooden floor. "Ow! Ow!" I held my Ankle in pain as I could sense quickly that it would be swelling very soon.

Another light from where I lied on the ground, and I quickly scrambled up and towards the door, running into the snow, despite my twisted ankle constantly throbbing. My run had a limp in it, and I jumped through the snow in a fright.

I passed the Christmas tree, gasping for breath, my feet were quickly numbing. Instead of stopping, I continued running, not looking back at the Inn.

Passing by the Christmas tree.

Passing by the dust pile that had replaced the snowman earlier that night.