CHAPTER 7: You're Wrong

J u n e 4th:
3 days before the tragedy.

5 p.m.

I took a step back, staring at my masterpiece I had collaborated together within the past few days. I was in my room, decently well lit, however, my entire wall had been cleared of its pictures and posters to make room for my notes and theories taped up on the wall. Every once and a while a colored string of my choosing would connect a certain theory to a certain fact.

It doesn't all add up! What's down there? How was the 'barrier' made? What is it made of? There's no scientific explanation?

Will I have to come up with my own mathematical equations to figure it out?

"Frisk. The chief asked about you again." Chara knocked on my door with a monotone. "You haven't checked in for 2 days. You never miss work." She said. I could practically hear her eyes rolling.

The audacity—!

"I'm on sick leave!" I yelled. "Leave me alone!" I yelled back again. To be honest, I still wasn't over her trying to keep me from the truth. I wanted to know it more badly than she did! She didn't even care! Now she's keeping it from me!

She probably had to ride the bus to work. Oh well. That's a long bus ride. It'll teach her not to be greedy with my data.

"Fine." She spat from behind the closed door. "It's not like you're getting anywhere anyways." She said, grumbling. "I'll just tell him you're skipping work. We both know you're not sick." She was grinning from behind the door. "Would you like this research to end your career? How would you feel about this obsession then?" She giggled. "I bet it would make you hate me. It would make you loathe this tedious project." She slammed her fist on the door. "HUH, Frisk?" She hissed.

"I don't know what's gotten into you." I narrowed my eyes. "You've gotten aggressive and unreasonable. You're not the same person I used to know. The same Chara would support this theory and my research." I said, almost sadly. "You changed. And until you want to support me, I will no longer support you either." I said, grinning slightly. "I'm bringing all of my research to the chief at the end of the week. It will then be theorized and published. I'll be moving as well." I said. "If you're still my friend you'll support this decision."

There was silence on the other end of the door. A tsk of frustration, and the furious stomps of my roomate fading away from the door. There was a slam of the front door. "Well then." I said, huffing out and turning towards the large chaotic wall of theories.

If there was a civilization under there, they would need a food and water sources to keep alive. Caves have plenty of fresh water, but where would the food some in?

Does it have to do with this barrier?

Or could it be a power source? Those heat signatures COULD as well as be a machine for the civilization's power. It's still running. That means there is either still people there, or it was abandoned recently.

I sighed, looking towards the door once I heard more footsteps. The door opened, revealing Chara to glance at the work I had done for now.  She grumbled, looking at the theories. I had one where the 'barrier' would keep these people from coming out, however, Chara walking out countered that. I also had one where a machine could be the core energy source, but I also ruled that one out due to invalid circumstances.

She looked long and hard at my work. The work I had accomplished. She didn't say a thing at first, her eyes following the colored strings and with each theory she would either nod or shake her head. "It's wrong." She said, pointing to all of it. "It's all wrong." She looked at me.

"They're just theories." I said through gritted teeth. "They're a prediction. A hypothesis." I said, the anger wanted to bubble up again. "And how do you know? Wasn't there nothing there?" I spat, crossing my arms.

"There was—!" She stopped her voice from erring to the point of yelling. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes, grinning. "There was nothing but dust." She said. "That's all you're going to find anymore." She laughed, her red eyes stared into mine. "Because I saved them from us." She laughed once more, holding her head. "It's all so complicated. This is all beyond the realm of your imagination."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, "who is us?" I asked again. "Who are they?" The list of questions just wouldn't stop. "What did you do to them?" I asked, wanting answers. I wanted my questions answered first he first time. Was she actually helping me now?

"Just quit trying." She said, grinning. "Just give up." She said, narrowing her eyes. "You'll never have the right answers unless you see it for yourself. It's unfathomable." She said, looking past me.

"Then I'll go down there." I said, my determination was seeping through. I never let it show, but I could feel it. It overpowered her determination to keep me from going in there. "I'll go down there and understand." I said. "Only then will I decide if I want to publish my work." I said, smiling.

"You wouldn't." She said, narrowing her eyes.

"Oh I would." I said. "And I'm disappointed in you for not believing in me." I said. Her shoulders stiffened, as if I had triggered something in her memory. "I believed in you! I trusted you!" I said, the rage and anger bubbling up. "So why can't you just tell me what you saw?!" I said. I couldn't understand! I don't understand! Why can't I not go down there?! Why can't I study this new substance?? This new place!

Why can't she just tell me?! What is stopping her from saying why I can't be down there!? This entire conflict would have been avoided! If a civilization really does lie down there, then we need to help them! Show them the daylight! Who knows how long they have been trapped?!

Or maybe even they cannot be in the sunlight! Maybe is a new evolution of man! The possibilities are endless! What does she mean it's beyond my imagination's capabilities?

"Humanity does not have the right to go down there." She said. "Humans does not deserve their kindness." She said again. "We are cowards. We are greedy. And they are not like us." She said.

"That doesn't change anything in our situation." I said. "It's obvious you aren't going to tell me anything but vague hints." I said. "And you may be using this to steer me away from the truth." I spat. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be here. Get out of my room if you're going to be like this." I said. "I'm too angry right now".

"Why you—!" Chara said, she looked at the board and narrowed her eyes. She then looked back at me and stomped out angrily. "Fine! But don't come crying to me for help when you're to blame for this!" She yelled. "I guess we'll be doing this the hard way."