CHAPTER 36: Only time will tell

Location: Waterfall
Time: Unknown
The beautiful waters of the place is immeasurable and indescribable. I can't seem to place my finger on the sense of calmness that lurks within this... "waterfall".

"Wake up." Sans said, kicking me slightly in the thigh. He didn't quite kick me hard enough to cause pain, though, with his pink slippers, would have required a rather hard kick. He rather, nudged me awake, almost as he's woken up someone before. Maybe his 'brother' was younger than him, and maybe the older sibling part of him took over?

Or maybe that part of him left when he abandoned his sanity?

I only groaned and lifted my head a little bit, giving him a half-lidded glare of him waking me up. He only tsked, rolling his eyes as my dazed mind tried to go back to its peaceful slumber. I didn't want to wake up after these past few days. "I'm not intimidated by you, Girlie." He grumbled, shoving his hands in his hoodie pockets and kicked me slightly harder. "Do you want to get out of here, or not?" He grumbled.

At that point, I groaned loudly once more, rolling my head to the front to try and wake up, but my morning side of me kicked back in unconsciously, and my head rolled back to the other side, drifting back into a deep sleep.

I don't know how much time had passed, but I could hear Sans' sigh of annoyance as my body refused to get up, and his footsteps walking away. Well, I didn't hear it exactly, or I would have followed, more like, I was conscious it was happening, however, my senses were out of wack due to me being half-asleep.

Suddenly, a montage of freezing liquid was outed too my head, just as I took a deep breath to inhale the relaxing peace of sleep. I choked on the water in a fright, afraid that Sans had thrown me into the river on purpose, in hopes of waking me up. "HEY—!" I yelled, waking up almost instantly to the icy water that flowed outside of the cavern walls.

"I said wake up." Sans said, throwing down an empty metal pail with a grumble as I looked up at him with soaked hair. "I wasn't going to carry you, Princess." He grumbled, putting his hands into his pockets once more. "You're lucky I even got you up." He said.

I shook off all of the water that was dripping down my hair, wiping it off frantically to avoid the incoming cold that I knew was inevitable if I kept it on my exposed skin. My shoulder length hair only hung in watered clumps, as they absorbed as much water as they could before leaking the excess fluid out of the ends in small droplets. "I'm not that stubborn..." I mumbled, wiping the water off of my arms that covered it in a slick moisture.

"Get. Up." He repeated, offering me no help to get up off of the ground. "If we want to make it out of here as soon as possible, then I advise that you get your ass off of the ground so we can get moving." He said. He didn't quite say it as an annoyed sense, but more of a slight bit of amusement. As if throwing a bucket of water on me offered him a bit of humor he used to have.

"I'm coming! I'm coming." I said, getting myself off of the ground with the small amount of morning strength I had. I groaned one more, yawning from the sudden wake up call from Sans. "What time is it anyways?" I asked, rubbing my eyes, hoping to wake up sooner than I normally did with myself drenched in icy water. I don't know what I am going to do without my coffee.

"It's about..." He trailed off, looking a cellular flip phone that looked like he carried around in his pocket. "9 o'clock." He said, looking at me lazily. "Though, we both passed out pretty quickly around 1 am today." He said, surprising me a bit by that's how quickly the time here in the underground passed when experiencing the new things. It was so beautiful, I never wanted to sleep.

I raised my eyebrows, surprised I had slept in that late, but though, I wasn't surprised. My body did not appreciate waking up. It was almost foreign to it. "Ok. Cool." I said, wiping the dirt off of my pants that had turned into mud while I was sitting in the puddle of saturated soil. "9 o'clock." I said, humming. "Okay." I clearers my throat, looking at Sans, who had been watching me with a bored complexion, obviously ready to start moving once more.

"You ready, yet?" He asked, looking at me with another bored look. "Or are we going to get out of here centuries from now?" He asked, being slightly dramatic.

"Again." I said, unamused. "I'm coming." I said, looking him in the eye sockets. His eyes were at their normal pinpricks, and his left eye wasn't radiating that abnormal purple glow. Was it only when he used his powers? Or when his insanity rises to the surface of his mental state?

He turned around, leading the way to walk me through the depths of the caverns. The glowing water from in the outer rims of the cave walls glowed brightly to light them up, reflecting even the most delicate of shadows along the walls, no matter how dark it may seem. I followed, not having trouble seeing him, contrasting towards my vision problems I did within the snowstorms of Snowdin Forest—because of the illuminating waters. Without the beautiful waters of Waterfall, I don't think I would have been able to see at all.

The lights glowing around the streaming waterfall in front of us was beautiful— it was indescribable. All I could do was mutter a faint, echoing, "wow.." as we crossed over a bridge of some sort to cross over the side of the waterfall. Pieces of ice seemed to flow from the top, only to drop into the dark abyss down below.

Sans said nothing in response, but I could see him shake his head slightly as we crossed the bridge. "I've never seen someone so interested in this place." Sans said, chuckling a bit. "I mean, yeah, it's pretty, but it's not THAT pretty." Sans said, sighing as he kicked a bit of dust off of the bridge.

I looked at the dust particles sadly, not quite knowing what they were. Was Sans hinting yesterday that monsters turn to dust when killed? Did he really kill them all? He was contradicting himself, every sentence seemed to contradict itself in the end, it was killing me. Why couldn't he just give me a straightforward answer?

Why couldn't I get through to him?

Why was he like this?

Should I wait to ask what had happened with Chara? His connection with Chara? Or should I let him tell me first?

It could be the prime cause of all the trauma he was facing now. I didn't want to shatter his mind's version of 'Papyrus', whoever that may be. Papyrus could potentially be keeping him stable, despite how unhealthy it was the fact that he seemed to think his little brother was real. I didn't now what to do.

Too many questions swarmed around my head. Do I ask them? Or should I keep my mouth shut?

I looked at Sans, who was still in front of me, walking at a slow, lazy pace. His shoulders were now relaxed, rather than stiff and weary. Does the social interaction with other specimens bring back his sanity? Does it bring him back into the world of reality?

It seems like whenever he is reminded of someone else in the underground, dead or alive, he seems to forget what world is real, and what world he fears.

Only time will tell, if he is truly capable of changing for the greater good.