CHAPTER 40: The Mystery Monster

Time: 1:00 PM
Location: Wishing Room
I couldn't comprehend what I was seeing. Another monster? It was impossible. I killed them all. I have the LOVE to prove it. I wouldn't be over level 99 if I hadn't wiped them out.

I didn't even hear him approach. A darkened figure stood in the darkness, a gaping smile that extended over his crooked face— which looked over the echo flower. He had only one eye from the side I could see, and the darkness encased with blue light made him all the more sinister looking. I had never seen this monster before.

"SEE? WITH THIS GIRL AROUND, YOU DROPPED YOUR GUARD. SHE IS MAKING YOU WEAK BY THE SECOND." Papyrus butted in. He hadn't been there for a while, I was starting to wonder where he went. "SHE NEEDS TO BE DISPOSED OF, SANS." Papyrus growled.

Frisk started to rush towards the monster with glee, obviously not feeling the dreaded suspicion that hung in the air. I grabbed her shoulder firmly to keep her from walking towards the mysterious monster. "Wait." I spat, narrowing my eyes to see at such a distance in the dark. Why couldn't this room be any lighter?

Papyrus growled once more at yet another disagreement. He knew that I needed her to find Chara once we got out of the underground. She was a resource, and until that need is fulfilled, she will stay alive. Didn't Papyrus know she now posted the power of the RESET? I can't kill her unless I get that backs as well.

"What's wrong?" She asked, looking at me. "Isn't that a monster?" He asked, her deduction skills were immeasurable. Sarcasm. "Then they're friendly, right?" She laughed nervously, glancing back at the monster who hadn't moved. Just how long was he there? "I knew you were kidding when you said you killed all of them!" She giggled. "I wasn't sure if I could believe you or not." She said again, sighing with relief. "That's a relief! But still, why is it so desolate?" She asked.

"I don't know that monster." I said, pulling Frisk towards me, and putting her next to my side. "And I know every monster in the underground." I narrowed my eyes, and lit up my eye, accumulating my magic in case of an attack. "Get behind me." I growled, summoning a bone to hold in my hand that was long and narrow with a pointed tip at the end.

I didn't take my eyes off the monster. He seemed to be talking, I could hear his faint whispers echoing off of the cave walls. It wasn't a hallucination. Then, who was it?

"Are you going to hurt them?" She said, with an almost fearful expression. Not from me, but for the monster. Had she really not even hurt anyone? Anything? She looked at the monster with me, staring at it with her big, golden eyes. She played with her fingers nervously as I didn't answer her.

"WHY ARE YOU PROTECTING HER??" Papayrus screamed, more prominent than ever. He always became more clear once I used my magic. "YOU ARE JUST CREATING KORE OF A SOFT SPOT FOR HER AS A HUMAN! JUST KILL HER!" He hissed at me, saying it rather low so she couldn't hear his fit.

"Shut up!" I hissed back at him, "Let me figure out who this is first!" I snapped at Papyrus, looking back and taking my eyes off of the monster to look at Papyrus with anger.

"Sans." Frisk said, even more fearful than she had been when I summoned the bone. "Sans. He's gone." She pointed, as I looked back at the first echo flower quickly, only to be surprised to see he had been gone in a flash. Did he have teleportation as well?

From the walls of the cave, I could hear an inaudible sentence being whispered from the echoflower, what he was whispering, I could presume.

"PROCEED WITH CAUTION. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT LIES WITHIN THE DARKNESS." Papyrus said, I nodded.

The hall was dark, and he had become one with the shadows it had seemed. I was the only creature in the underground that could teleport. Where did he go? I stepped forward slowly, holding the sharpened bone with a firm grip, my pinpricks were farting around the darkness, ready for any signs of an oncoming attack, and it was dead silent, except for the echoflowers that had been whispering our conversation earlier, of course.

Frisk stayed close to me, stepping when I stepped, and was careful not to make any noises to distract me, like Papyrus had.

Once I had gotten to the flower, which felt like an eternity as my heart started to beat a bit faster at the excitement of a battle, the blue flower flowed brightly and lit up our faces with a tinted cerulean. It was bright over here, more than when we were towards the middle of the wishing room. We both peered closer to hear the message that had been whispered inside of the flower.

"..wH..er..E ... dI..D....
...h..E.. ... ....gO.... ..?"

The scratchy voice echoes over and over again, softly and hoarsely as the echo flower seemed to loose a bit of its glow listening to this creature's voice.

There was a moment of silence, as if the echoflower itself was beginning to die. It's glow was only faint, and it was losing it in a matter of seconds. It became unusually dark where we once stood, and Frisk still hasn't said a word, only her slight tug on my jacket to remain close to me.

"..D..On...'T..." A voice came from the shadows behind us, causing me to turn around swiftly and almost instantly, surprised I was unable to detect the monster. My increased awareness of my surroundings due to my LOVE wasn't working on this particular monster. I didn't know why! Frisk whipped herself around me or the back as I held out the bone, looking for the monster with a blind eye. My magic eye didn't seem to light up the darkness enough. I could only see his shadowed figure. "..Y...oU... kN..oW... iT...'S.. r...U..dE ...tO.. t..A..Lk... aB..Ou...T... ...sO...M....eoN...E ..." the monster took a deep breath for an intake of air. It sounded like he was a bad smoker of some sort. "...wH..o'S... Li...sTe...nIn...G?" He said, stepping closer to us slowly.

He was a monochromatic monster, and his head was angled down to make his crooked smile even more sinister than mine. "Talk about who?" I asked, narrowing my eyes, holding a defensive position.

"SANS. THIS ISN'T A GOOD IDEA. WHEN DID YOU START DISO—?" He stopped himself, talking lower in my ear as the monster leaned in. "WHEN DID YOU STOP TAKING MY ADVICE?" He growled. "IT WAS UNTIL THIS GIRL CAME INTO THE PICTURE." He said.

I didn't respond to him, I only thought to myself how complicated things were right now. I would make sure he understood later. But for now, I focused my attention on the monster in front of me.

"...hE.. kN..o..WS...." the monster took a deep gasp of air. He seemed like he was docile at the moment, but I didn't lower my stance. "...wHa...T ...y...OU...v'E.. dO..nE...." the monster said, stepping closer. "...rE..cIE..Ve.... yO..uR... ...juD...gE...MeN...T..." his grin didn't falter, maybe it was the shape of his face?

"Who are you?" I asked, raising my bone to prepare for a strike. I could feel Frisk cowering in fear at the fate of the monster. Would she trust me enough to lead her through the underground for the rest of the way if I killed him this mercilessly? "You have no right to judge." I said, knowing fully well, that I, in fact, was still the judge. No monsters doesn't mean no judge. I was still the judge.

The monster raised his hand, and I shot the bone at him in a flash, with no hesitation. Frisk's yelp in fear was heard and I'm almost disappointed I didn't hesitate with this one. If there was dust on the ground where he was, then it would piece together in Frisk's mind that I had killed them. She still thinks it's a joke! We both waited, and he dust from the rock wall cleared, I looked on the ground, However, he was not there. He had become one with the shadows again.

A crack was heard from where the bone had landed firmly into the wall, and it caused a few stars to fall off of the ceiling. "Shit." I said, looking up, noticing the fine cracks that had just formed from the frail rock. "The ceiling is unstable." I trailed off, Sounds of cracking and small bits of rock fell from the ceiling. "RUN." I yelled, pushing Frisk towards the end of the Wishing Room.