CHAPTER 69: MERCY

Time: unknown
Location: Judgement hall
I must show her... MERCY.

"Judged?" She asked, walking behind me. I chuckled darkly, laughing at the fact that she had no idea what was coming to her. I had to protect her. I had to SAVE her.

"Correct." I said, glancing at papyrus, who was peacefully walking next to me, no opinions or denials. No contradictions, unlike how he had been over the past several weeks. Could he know what I was thinking? "I am the judge, and you will be judged for your actions, but me." I said, stating casually, as I continued to walk forward down the hallway. It was a beautiful day outside.

"IT HAS SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE CHOSEN PROPERLY, SANS." Papyrus said, almost in acceptance. "THE RIGHT PATH, IN WHICH YOU CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF, AS AN INDEPENDENT BEING." Papyrus said once more, his words slithering around my thoughts. "LOOK AT ALL OF THE TROUBLES SHE HAD BEEN THROUGH, YOU CARE FOR HER, DO YOU NOT?" He said, grinning mischievously, and full of malice. "THEN OFFER HER EVERYTHING YOU HAVE." He said, grinning.

"Stay here." I said, as if I had been lulled under some sort of a spell. I was monotone and dark, and I could see the sweet fear in Frisk's eyes. I longed for the feeling of a rush of a scream, the memories of killing those monsters--my family slowly dwindled my sanity away, bit by bit. Until it was only nothingness compares to what Frisk had previously built up. It was so exhausting to stay sane, and to care for everything around me. Why not just ... be in control?

She mumbled something along the lines of 'okay', but I couldn't hear quite properly with the quite noise that blocked out most of the outside noises around me. I could only hear the whispers of Papyrus, and so much white noise.

"OFFER HER MERCY, SANS." Papyrus reiterated, grinning and whispering into my ear with more malicious intentions. "YOU CAN SAVE HER." He said, chuckling.

"So you finally made it." I said, walking to the end of the hallway, hearing my own voice drown out all of my inner demons'. Frisk could hear me clearly with the echoing of my deep voice. "The end of our journey is at hand, and in a few moments, you will meet the barrier, or, once was the barrier." I said, huffing, grinning at the thought of how I, myself, destroyed the barrier after gaining so much LV, and using the power of the souls. "Now, you will be judged-- Judged for your every action." I said, as her eyes widened in almost a fear as my left eye lit aflame in response.

I could only remember the countless battles that happened here in this hall. The countless number of times I had died at Chara's hand. I could only see her silhouette replacing Frisk's body, and attacking me with full force. The power of a true human, a true monster. "You will be judged by how much pain you have inflicted on others, and how much you have killed, but most importantly, how much you have distanced yourself."

I was talking as if this were the first run I had ever done, the dialogue seemed to just fall out of my mouth out of habit. I just knew what to say, and Frisk stood there, silent. A part of me wished that she would just run and hug me, begging me to stop talking for just a second. "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??" Papyrus snapped at me as I continued with my speech.

"But you..." I said, chuckling sadly, "You never gained any LOVE. A Level Of Violence. No matter the hardships you faced throughout all of this. You refused to hurt anyone." I said, closing my eyes and squinting so I could just barely see her figure.

She stayed strong.

She's an annoying pest.

"THIS IS NOT THE MERCY I MEANT, SANS." Papyrus said, angrily. "KILL HER. OFF HER THE SAME MERCY YOU SHOWED EVERYONE, BECAUSE MY LIFE IS AT STAKE." He said. "IF SHE LIVES, OUR PLAN IS RUINED, OUR LIVES." He said. "THINK FOR A MOMENT, SANS." He said, as I tried as best as I could t keep out his loud voice. It was almost too tempting. Every time he said something, It felt more and more right, more and more tempting to follow through to his wishes.

It was like his wishes where turning into mine.

If that made sense.

"So come on," I said, grinning, "We've got a not-so-barrier barrier to see." I said, chuckling slightly, motioning my hands over to her, and watching her run to me in excitement. "Come on, Frisk." I said with a grin that made my soul ache. Watching her so happy made me want to tell her that she would never be accepted into her society ever again, that she will never have a normal life ever again because of her actions.

I just couldn't wipe that happiness on her face.

I wanted to see her in misery.

My hands started shaking as she neared me. The urge to fight off became stronger and stronger within the span of a few seconds. It felt as if I were falling into a black hole and losing control of my own actions, however I was already in control.

Loosing my grip on reality. Was this what it felt like? A sinking feeling of quick sand, unable to get out no matter how hard you might try? It was terrifying, to think about leaving her.

I need to kill her.

"I WILL MAKE SURE YOU ARE GUIDED PROPERLY." Papyrus said. Frisk tried to speak to me, however, I could hear only white noise, yet again. Her voice was purposely drowned out, my only way back into the real world. I couldn't get a grip! "YOU ARE MY BROTHER, SANS." Papyrus said, "I ONLY WANT YOU TO BE SAFE FROM THIS REALITY." He said, "YOU ARE NOT INSANE, YOU MERELY HAVE A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON LIFE THAN OTHERS. DO NOT FIGHT IT, IT WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS MORE PAINFUL." He said, as Frisk turned around to try and get my attention.

"YOU ARE A WONDERFUL CREATION." He said, "A WONDERFUL PUPPET." Papyrus said once more, chuckling and grinning as I kept walking, motionless and robotic. "YOU WILL GIVE HER MERCY."

I will give her mercy.

She deserves better than this world.

Its better to be killed by me, her lover, than by someone else. She should be grateful that her soul can be released and with me for eternity.

"DID I SAY 24 HOURS?" Papyrus said, "I MEANT 6." He said, grinning at me. "THIS IS YOUR FINAL MOMENT, SANS." He said, "OR SHOULD I SAY, FRISK."

Mercy.

I need to SAVE her.

I need to offer her—

Mercy.