CHAPTER 54: T-shirt?

Time: Unknown
Location:Waterfall
The reason as to why Sans saved me still remained a mystery. Could I ever work up the courage to ask him why he saved me? Why he didn't leave me to die and only saved himself? I could only wait and walk by his side for the rest of the journey, forever in curiosity, I guess..

Continuing down the rocky path, the crystals seemed to become for abundant than in the other places. What was so special about the atmosphere here to have more crystals grow, than the other places? I really did wish I could have time to sit and make calculations for the underground. It has grabbed the most- if not all of my attention and curiosity.

My stomach turned again, I had not eaten in a number of days, and the only thing I have had is that one hot dog that Sans generously gave to me to keep me alive, only at the utmost bear necessities. It was driving me insane; the hunger twisting knots in my stomach as if it were feeding on my own stomach fat. I had grown increasingly thin over the course of these few days, I knew starvation wasn't that far away at this rate. But alas, I wasn't sure why I kept this as a secret. Maybe I though Sans wouldn't care? Wasted breath?

We near sort of an archway in the side of the wall, obviously leading into a shop of some sort, the first I had seen since Snowdin. Actually, Snowdin was the last thing I had seen when referencing Monster culture! Is that how small their numbers were? Or did the true civilization lie beyond the caverns? "Here." Sans said, smiling slightly, walking over to a lone telescope that had dust piled up on top of it from never using it. "Try this." He said, patting it.

"Why?" I said, skeptical, narrowing my eyes in a playful manner, nearing the telescope, looking for anything for me to detect in his face. Unfortunately, he relatively had the same facial expression, so it was hard to read him to see where this random command came from. I held the eyepiece of the expensive, yet old-looking telescope, and looked at Sans once more, who had stepped to the side to allow me to look inside of it. "This is so out of the blue. What's the catch?" I asked, coughing slightly.

"Well, normally I would make monsters pay to use my premium telescope, but I figured since I know you, you could use it for free." He said, almost as if he were taking me into consideration. "Plus, I know you want to look at these crystals with a closer view. Think of it as a very large microscope. Only better and made to look at the ceiling." He shrugged, grinning slightly. The sudden rise of his cheekbones, made me shoot a playful glare at him, but I DID want to look at these crystals.

"You're so kind." I said, sarcastically, almost mocking him for letting me use it for free. Of course, I wasn't ungrateful fro it, I was actually surprised he cared about my wants for a change. It was weird, in a way. "I DO want to look at those crystals. Maybe it'll give me a hint about their make-up and what type of compounds they have! Maybe its something I could re-create back at home!" I said, rather too excitedly.

I looked back at sans when I had realized I was geeking-out about rocks, and saw almost a saddened look in his eye. There was a moment of hesitation, and he just chuckled, as if that split moment of sadness was gone. "You do you." He said, after a slight hesitation of words.

I eagerly looked inside of the telescope, and focused it to my liking, however, I couldn't get it to work. All I could see was pink in the lenses of it. Was the telescope rigged to get profit off of nothing? "I don't see anything!" I exclaimed, pressing my eye more into the telescope in disappointment. I quickly looked up at Sans and whined in frustration. "Is it broken after not being used this long or something?" I complained, "Iv'e never seen a telescope get that shade of pink. It's unnatural. It is rather old, Is the lense working alright?" I said, listing off the details of the possibilities as to why it wasn't working.

Sans let out a stifle of laughter, and winked, "I don't know. Lets hope its not'ringed'." He chuckled. "I paid a good bit for that telescope." he sighed, evading my stare of curiosity and shoving his hands inside of his pockets with another chuckle.

"You mean, 'rigged'? Right?" I asked, still very disappointed that I couldn't see the crystals of the underground up close. "And WHAT is so funny??" I asked, grinning, as if the laughter was contagious. Him trying to hold back his many chuckles was awfully amusing to watch. It was quite the show.

"Oh yeah, That." He said, chuckling. "I don't know. You might be in a 'circle' of trouble. You might need to 'mark' this off on your bucket list." He said, chuckling once more. He motioned me forward with his head, "Sorry about the telescope." He said, sarcastically.

"No you're not!" I said, walking off in a playful way, giggling from the front. "And I WOULD lead the way but I have NO idea where I'm going!" I let out a sigh of frustration, obviously playful, just prolonging Sans' amusement. It was rather fun.

"You're right. I'm not." He winked, chuckling. "(Keep going straight.)" He whispered, chuckling as he walked to catch up to my brisk-paced walk. He had almost a care-free look on his face. It was comforting, in a way.

"THANK you!" I said, making him chuckle more.

I eventually walked to a dead-end, wondering if I somehow screwed up the directions when all they were was 'go straight'. I looked at the end of the path in absolute awe, looking at the luminescent water that cut off the bridge between the piece of rock I was standing on and the rest of the path on the mainland. It was almost like a disproportionately small gap filled with this beautiful water. "What?" Sans said, walking up behind me. "Did you take a wrong turn?" He said, looking at me, chuckling. "Who made YOU lead?" He asked to no one in particular.

"How could I have--?!"I asked to myself, and only growled, huffing in frustration. I looked at Sans' blood-stained T-Shirt and jacket, and cringed looking at it. It had only reminded me of all of those people he had killed. "Hey," I asked, "Are you planning to wash your clothes anytime soon?" I asked, laughing slightly. "Because they're REALLY gross." I chuckling slightly, and he looked down at his shirt with a small laugh too.

"Oh? This?" He asked, pulling the end of his shirt to look at the splatters. "I thought this was the new hip? The new cool style for the kids?" He gasped, turning his nose. "Don't tell me you think my taste in fashion is a mess??" He said, grinning slightly and chuckling. "I'm hurt!" He said sarcastically.

"If you're not going to wash it, then just give me your shirt." I said, holding out my hand. I felt disgusted int eh fact that I was going to touch that much blood at once, but It was better than having to be reminded of the things he's done and ruining the good times we have. I motioned him and his shirt over with my hand, "I'm going to wash it in the water." I said.

"That water is very toxic." He said, pointing to the water, surprising me. "The ammonium from the caverns solidified into the water and combined with the magic in the air, making that water very toxic to monsters if you even touch it. Why do you think there are no housing arrangements in the most beautiful part about the underground?" He asked the obvious statement as if I knew the answer.

"What?" I asked, astonished. "Really??" I asked, opening my mouth gaping wide to show my surprise of the beautiful water. I knew ammonium could be deadly, but I guess I didn't know it was abundant here.

"No." Sans grinned, and I playfully slapped him in the arm while he chuckled in amusement. "I'm just messing with you." He laughed and I gasped once more.

"You jerk!" I yelled, laughing. "That wasn't funny!" I said, while he continued to laugh. "You're so WEIRD!" I writhed, which made him laugh slightly harder. "I'm tired! I totally fell for that!"

"I got it! I got it!" He laughed, as I continued to playfully punch him. "If you want my shirt, here." He said, and I turned around, not facing him, showing him I was 'angry'. All I felt was something hit my head, and drape over it, hanging loose like another set of hair that magically appeared. "a-hE-!" I turned around, glaring at Sans, only to be shocked to see his bare rib cage, more like a chest, but for a skeleton, I guess.

He was oddly proportionate, the way his shorts fit around his hip bones and the way his spine curved to his rib cage. It was mostly weird, seeing a living skeleton. I had only seen his legs and his head, but seeing the rest of his body was definitely strange.

"This is kind of what happens when people take off their shirts, no?" He asked, chuckling a bit. "Move along. You have a rib cage too, you know." He chuckled, sitting down on the soft soil of the terrain. "I'll be over here." He said, opening his magic eye just slightly to reveal the purple in his magic. "Waiting." He chuckled in amusement.