CHAPTER 35: The real Puppet

Location: Snowdin Forest
Time: It's a Mystery
The familiar feeling of the soft winds of Snowdin fill me with nostalgia. I could see the fresh blanket of snow stretch on for what seemed like miles. This place is familiar.

Walking along the snow, past the familiar bridge that lied between the gate of the RUINS and Snowdin, I sighed a heavy high, shaking and panicking. It seemed like a peaceful day in Snowdin Forest, quiet and desolate, as I passed another dust pile that lied upon the snow ground.

I had done it.
Every single last one.

Everyone was now ... dust.

I chuckled to myself, seeing the irony in the situation. In order to stop Chara from killing them, I had to. I needed the LOVE to defeat her in combat.

I needed to show them LOVE.

I showed them LOVE by saving them from her. It was better to die at the hands of me, their friend, than that back stabbing sociopath.

The snow started to fall again, and I sat myself down rather quickly, using the snow as a form of a pillow to cushion my fall into the cold ice. I hugged myself, raising my knees up towards my chest, as every single monster's face replayed in my head. Over and over.

'I thought we had been friends! I guess it is best not to trust strangers behind a door.'

I chuckled a sad stifle of laughter, as the first came to mind. A nice, old lady I told jokes to behind the door.

'Sans? Are you alright? Sit down, let's have a cup of tea. Maybe it will make you feel better.'

The older man's vice echoed through my head, as I struck him down at the base of his flowerbed. I had already killed everyone that lingered inside of the Ruins. It was time to start on the core.

'S-Sans! I-It's you! I've seen the cameras! Y-y-you're not yourself! Come b-back to us!'

A quivering voice echoed inside of my head, I held it tighter as the tears began to fall out of my eye sockets. I was alone. I had killed everyone in Hotland. I was all alone. I killed them. I killed them all.

'What would Papyrus think, Darling? She wasn't even done with my body. You... you killed my creator.'

The mechanical voice annoyed me, but it still sent shocks of pain through my soul as I gripped my head even harder, begging my brain to stop the memories flooding in through. I couldn't handle the pain and the despair I had put upon myself as a monster. It was too much. MAKE IT STOP.

'You... I cant believe you! You KILLED HER! YOU KILLED ALL OF THEM! WHAT HAPPENED, SANS?? I THOUGHT YOU WERE OUR FRIEND! YOU'VE GONE MAD!'

The heroic voice shouted at me like I had just broken her heart. A loved one had just passed away. I had killed everyone in waterfall. Everyone was dusted— the underground grew desolate.

My heart stopped. All I could do was beg—no. Plead for my brain not to do this to me. "Please.." I said. "Make it stop.." I gripped my skull. "I WAS SAVING THEM FOR GOD'S SAKE! I WAS SAVING THEM FROM THE CRUELTIES OF THIS WORLD! DO NOT PUNISH ME FOR SAVING THEM!" I screamed to myself, fearing insanity. "Don't take me away." I cried. "They haunt me."

'UNDYNE TOLD ME EVERYTHING.'

I cried harder, "NO!!" I was shaking violently. "DONT MAKE ME REMEMBER!! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!" I screamed as my voice echoed throughout the entire underground. "Please..."

'Y-YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHOSE THIS PATH, BROHER!'

"PLEASE!!" I smashed my forehead into my knees, hoping it would kill me first. "He was ALL I HAD!"

'COME HOME! COME BACK TO SNOWDIN! WE CAN STILL EAT SPAGHETTI AND HAVE FUN IN THE SNOW!'

"There is no more Snowdin." I responded to the pained memory. "I killed them all, Papyrus. Just close your eyes. Don't worry—! I'll make it quick." I cringed, sobbing, cracking down from the pains of the memories. "It's better to be killed by ME then her, anyways."

'I BELIEVE IN YOU! SANS! CHOOSE GOODNESS! EVERYONE HAS GOOD IN THEM!'

His voice echoed, and I started laughing in a crazed fit. My shattered mind couldn't withstand the horrors I had faced. I was wondering what would break first, my bones, or my mind. "Not anymore." I let out another small bit of pained laughter.

That pained laughter quickly turned into mechanical, crazed laughter. Insanity plagued my mind as determination flooded my magic with corrupted, black magic.
I howled, throwing back my skull and grinning from ear to ear.

"SANS?" Papyrus called, and immediately, I turned to his direction with glee. "SANS! ARE YOU ALRIGHT?"

"Papyrus! Oh thank god! I thought you left! I thought you left me!" I said, scrambling out of my spot in the snow and towards the disfigures Papyrus. I didn't care. He was still Papyrus. I wasn't alone anymore! I had my little brother!

"I NEVER LEFT YOU, SANS. YOU FOUND ME." He said, grinning, walking towards me with large, hollow, purple eye sockets. "YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU NEVER LEAVE ME. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO IF YOU LEFT ME TOO." Papyrus said, grinning widely.

"I'd never leave you, bro. Not again." I said, chuckling, as I walked closer to Papyrus. "I needed to kill them. You don't understand. I needed to show them the mercy and the LOVE to set them free of this place!" I grinned, laughing a whole, hearty laugh. With Papyrus around, I could really be carefree. I could be happy.

I could give in to the insanity.

"I KNOW." Papyrus grinned widely. "THAT IS WHY WE MUST KILL MORE." He said. "KILL AS MANY AS YOU CAN. OVER AND OVER. GAIN MORE LOVE TO EXECUTE THE DRIVE TO FINISH CHARA OFF ONCE AND FOR ALL." Papyrus said. "THAT IS OUR MISSION."

"Yes, Papyrus." I grinned, laughing. "Anything for you." I grinned once more, throwing my good up on top of my skull. "I have enough LOVE to break the barrier. Shall we?" I grinned, as I teleported towards the barrier.

"WE SHALL, MY PUPPET."

——

"YOU HAVE DETOURED FROM THE MISSION. YOU ARE NOT SEEING THE PATH CLEARLY ANYMORE.

YOU ARE PUSHING ME AWAY. SHE IS DANGEROUS AND A THREAT NOW.

GO BACK ONTO OUR PATH,

OR I WILL SET YOU BACK THERE MYSELF."