CHAPTER 34: The underground

Time: Unknown
Location: The Caverns
The information Sans holds is the key to understanding what had happened down here. What happened to all of the residents of this place? Where did they all go?

Sans chuckled, shaking his head. "I'm only kidding." He winked. "Or am I?" He said soon after, chuckling a bit. It made me look at him in more fear than I already did, this alone earned a chuckle from him, and I sigh, getting back to another topic. "We can only go on for a few more hours. You slept the afternoon away." Sans said, as he looked around. "Man, you're lazier than I am." He chuckled slightly.

"Wait a second—!" I said, scoffing playfully as he chuckled slightly. "I almost froze to death! You expect me to not sleep?" I said. "Humans are designs to sleep for at least 8 hours a night! Maybe more!" I said, laughing slightly as his back was turned to me.

"Then just..." He said, turning around. "Don't freeze to death." He grinned, chuckling a bit. "It's simple, really." He said, messing with the soft soul of the cavern floors.

"You can't just...—!" I tried to say, sighing and rubbing my temples, closing my eyes. "You can't just not freeze to death. That's not how it works..." I said, huffing, trying not to crack a smile, unlike him, who was having the time of his life with this. With teasing me. Almost as if he switched back. Just like that?

"Why not?" He said. "It's what I did. I had no problem not freezing to death." He chuckled, walking forward, which caused me to follow him with another playful scoff. "Sounds like to me you're just being lazy." He chuckled. "Which, I'm one to talk, but still. With your whole determined self, I would have never expected a lazy side." He chuckled.

"But—!" I said, sighing. I was going to make my argument even further, carrying on his rather ridiculous conversation, however, we passed by the same, small, wooden station that smelled of condiments, and where the pretty, blue echoing flower resonated within the darkness of the caverns. It stood high and proud, as if it wasn't even close to dying, despite the lack of sunlight. "Hey. It's that flower!" I said, walking over to it, feeling it's soft petals.

This was where I met Sans. Even if he was switched to his other persona.
I hated saying that, because I didn't know if it really was a persona switch. Split personalities wouldn't remember the period of times when they switched, maybe if I asked him about when we met, it could give me a clue? "Isn't this where we officially met?" I asked him.

"Actually, I saw you in the woods of Snowdin. But you saw me for the first time here, yes." He replied. Damn. He wasn't a split personality. So what was he? "And that's an echo flower. It'll repeat any phrase you say back. The last one, at least." He chuckled, watching my starry eyes glitter at the amazing flower as it whispered 'The last one, at least' back to me, softly and quietly.

Sans started walking the other direction, and I followed, skipping slightly to catch up to him. "If that was Snowdin, then where are we?" I asked him, as he slowed his pace drastically to a casual, slow stride. A comfortable pace for my thin body. "I just decided to call it the caverns." I said, staring at the water that flowed along the side of the riverbed. "Because, well, it's a cave." I laughed slightly, sighing and looking up at the fake stars.

"We're In waterfall." He replied. Looking straight ahead, not glancing at me. "There are 5 regions of the underground. The ruins, Snowdin, waterfall, and Hotland. There is also the core, but that is apart of Hotland." He said, answering my questions. This also answered as to why the part of the mountain gets so cold and hot, because there was literally snow in part of the mountain. What could be in this 'Hotland'? Could it be the core of the earth?

"It's pretty here." I said, smiling genuinely for what seems like the first time in forever. He chuckled.

"It is, ain't it?" He said, as we passed another dustpile. "Any other questions? You seem like the type to never stop asking." He chuckled a bit.