CHAPTER 60: His Path

Time: Is only Lingering
Location: Waterfall
The internal battle of both my sanity and my insanity never seems to stay stagnant. Will I ever be freed from the clutches of my own madness?

"Hey!" I grabbed Frisk's shoulders, as her head tilted off again as she started to sink into a slumber of no return. "What did I say??" I sighed, sounding rather angry with her actions, however that wasn't the case. I was scared. and I didn't know why. Was I scared of the death that is following her? I couldn't be.

I sighed again, as she shook awake, barely conscious, more of a sigh of relief at this rate. I couldn't have been gone for more than fifteen minutes, searching what felt like the entire underground more anything edible for a human to eat in a frantic frenzy. Some onlookers could even assume that I was in fact mad for looking like that everywhere I had taken a shortcut to. "You look awful." I said, more to myself than to her, as her couldn't even keep her thoughts straight, she was so hungry.

Maybe it was better she didn't remember this.

"Here." I said, taking two glamburgers, one out of each jacket pocket, and holding them out for her to take. If I am correct, then the natural senses for any creature are heightened to what the body needs most, while the others are dwindled down to conserve more energy. For Frisk, her sense of smell should be heightened to her body trying to find any traces of food. "Eat." I said rather bluntly, but she lifted her head up slowly, and reached for the burger at a snails pace.

She said nothing, as she realized what she was holding once I placed it into her hands, and her eyes widened. I was hoping this would trigger something in her brain to keep functioning for just a moment more to get rid of such bad mal-nourishment. I was genuinely afraid of her body rejecting the food if she was in such a late stage of starvation.

She quickly opened her mouth, taking small bites of the burger at once, and I was afraid that the skin supporting her jaw-line would rip from opening it too far. She was smart, not to devour the sandwich in one sitting, her body really would have rejected the nourishment then. I quickly checked her stats while she was preoccupied with the glamburger, and was happy to see that her HP was at a stable number and was beginning to increase exponentially.

"Good." I mumbled, as I set the other burger down next to her and waited for her to finish the first burger. She was still super hazy from the oncoming effects of a coma, however, she was able to finish the first one with a significant amount of time passing by, but I didn't care about the time it took, I only cared for something more. "Now eat the other one." I demanded, pointing to the one next to her.

Her eyes lit up once more, her stomach still growling despite having a very big glamburger, and she grabbed it hastily to eat the second one. I would have gotten her more of a HP filler like a legendary hero, but I was worried she wouldn't be able to eat the steak at all with her condition. I was just surprised I was able to find actual, edible food here after all this time. "At least you're not fighting me." I said, chuckling to myself. "Then again, I am talking to a being that doesn't quite possess adherent speaking capabilities at the moment." I said, sighing, and  prying my eyes off of Frisk.

What was I doing? I couldn't decide if what I was doing was right or if It were wrong. Something still felt very wrong in this picture, like something big was missing.

Frisk then rolled her head back to fall asleep, once again, but this time I didn't stop her. Her body needed the energy to use those calories to get her bodily functions to start working again. She will survive another day, and I felt very satisfied to hear those thoughts run through my head. Stopping myself, I quickly shook my head, shaming me for thinking such things.

I didn't understand WHY I was shaming myself for thinking such things. It didn't make sense. Why did my brain not want to take care of her so much? It almost was like it was telling me she was a threat to my life, which made my head spin even more.

Mind over body—my body wanted to care for her and protect her, however, my mind seemed to stay split and stagnant throughout the entire problem itself as a whole.

I soon hears her soft snores that echoed through the distant caves of Waterfall, and even the rushing water made the place all the more peaceful for sleep. I looked at her just one more time, before drifting off myself, propping up one knee, and leaving the left straight. I placed my wrist on my right knee, and my left one hung on the ground, resting my head onto the rock that was surprisingly comfortable. I had found just the right spot in the crevasse of the rocks that my head just so perfectly fit in, much to my own satisfaction.

"YOU HAVE CHOSEN YOUR PATH." I opened my eyes, looking around suddenly, as if someone were talking to me. My heart rate increased, and I became panicked, as if this voice were more of a threat than Frisk was. I knew I was going insane at this point, having these voices speak to me as if they were another being. I was too paranoid. I had to ignore it.
"YOU WILL BECOME YOUR OLD SELF IN NO TIME."

His voice seemed more faint, but then again, more prominent. What was this voice again? When did I ... hear it?

I just couldn't remember.