CHAPTER 48: Hopelessness

Time: Unknown
Location: Unknown
The man carrying me was pushy and uncomfortable. My hope in seeing the surface once more had been crushed. Had Chara really framed me for going into the Underground? What was left for me here?

Walking for quite a while, maybe it was just the fact that I was so fatigued from the little adventure I had had over the past few days, the wishing room cave walls eventually morphed into a more open cave, surrounding by water and it was even darker here than it was in the other room probably because of the absence of the echo flowers. "Miss Frisk, do keep up." The Colonel said. "We need you alive to do the full report on the investigation." Colonel Jackson said, not looking back as I shot glares towards him. I didn't respond to that asshole.

The northern exit of the Wishing Room lead to a room with a wooden bridge and dark water in which many Water Sausages grew from the reeds in the water. I could tell the plant phyla due to the similarities of the cattails on the surface. Glancing my eyes up onto the wall, I could barely hold my vision straight without giving away the fact that I was was in fact eyeing my own surroundings. Did I think I could escape? Only time would serve it's purpose.

On the north wall were many ancient glyphs and symbols that I didn't recognize. I could guarantee that asking to stop to study them was out of the question. I had really hoped that I could have studied these ancient writings more with S—...

My heart sank at the first thought that came to mind, as if we were everyday friends, looking for another adventure. Only then, my mind tortured me more, replaying his hurtful words in my head over and over again. I didn't receive any mercy from myself. 'Did you like my acting?' It would say, over and over again, reminding me that it was all just a game to him, my feelings, and his betrayal.

I didn't dare to look back at the men carrying Sans. He would most likely get killed for the things he had done, or even be put into an institute for his mental instability, however that was unlikely. Due to his high intelligence, the court would most likely deem him as functional, and guilty.

I kept my head low, hissing in pain every time I would fumble a step due to the dizziness in my vision, or the rumbling of my hungry stomach. In these bodily warning signs that I continued to ignore, caused my walking to become impaired, making the soldier's grip even tighter on my bicep, as he tried to pull me up and along the docked area. I didn't want them to know my weakness, and I was determined not to show them that I could give up.

It seemed as if the dock was surrounded by black water, it was so dark around this area. I could see cut marks in the wood, as if it had been worn down with the points of knives from over the time it had been here in the water. It creaked and groaned as the multiple soldiers stepped on it in formation, and a small part of me hoped one of the boards would give out, causing them to all fall in and drown.

But unfortunately, I wasn't a protagonist in a book, so my luck wore thin on that count.

Walking for quite a while, the dock eventually came to an end, and the soldiers followed the leading colonel, where he disappeared into what seemed as the very same grass as what had separated Snowdin and the entrance to Waterfall. Could this be the same grass? Just some really tall, uncut grass?

Directly behind the grass, after pushing through the thick blades that continuously slapped me in the face, was a small camp for all of the units of this team.

Multiple men patrolled the area, as small, white tents were set up for living quarters that were tightly packed inside of the small caved area. It had looked like they had just settled here.

The men lead me into quite a large tent, one I could seemingly guess that it was the colonel's private quarters to the other men of the army. The colonel barked orders to the men carrying Sans, who were still behind us. My body aches to swipe a glance at his condition or even his mood. Seeing his face, I might predict his next few movements, however, I held myself back, as that very same sentence repeated itself back into my head. He didn't care out me. Why did I? "Put her in my tent." Jackson said, looking around. "And keep the skeleton under tight security. Make sure he stays alive." He said, pointing off into a general direction that was deeper into the camp they had created.

I was sat down in a wooden chair inside of the white tent of the colonel's 'office'. The tent was fairly spacious, enough to be the master bedroom of a house, unlike the other tents for the foot soldiers that were spread out miscellaneously in small, packed groups. The man that had most likely left a permanent bruise on my arm as quickly turned and left at the disposal of the Colonel, and he just walked in with a poker face. I couldn't read him.

The colonel paced back and fourth, holding a clipboard, and reading off of the piece of paper, skimming it with his eyes and tapping a pen rhythmically on his chin scruff. He said nothing but grunt about the material on the pages that rested on the clipboard. "As I said earlier, we have three consecutive, anonymous officials that have secured evidence to your stance in court." Jackson said, sighing. "I'm telling you now. My legal rights consist of getting you to cooperate no matter the cost. This is classified business, therefore the normal legal rights you would have towards the public have been renounced." He said, and I could feel the tears brimming in the corners of my eyes.

"Just remember you put this on yourself." He said, shaking his head. "I had hopes for you, Frisk." He said. "Finding a new species, and a potential creation of a biological WMD." He said.

"I never wanted the biological weapon!" I blurted, overcome with frustration and anger. "And I have done nothing wrong! Absolutely nothing!" I cried. "Just let me go! Just leave me alone!" I cried.

"I'm afraid I cannot do that." He said. "But I can make sure the second one happens. You will most likely be killed here, though." He said, placing the clipboard down. "With the things you've done, you wouldn't be allowed back into society." He said. "There will be three guards in the front of the tent, and the back. You will remain cuffed and in this chair." He said, mumbling something inaudible outside. "One of the soldiers will observe you quietly in this tent. Just for safety reasons. I have other matters to attend to." He said, pacing out of the tent opening.

"I didn't do anything!" I screamed in his direction. "I didn't do anything wrong!" I cried, feeling the warm tears fall down my dirty face. My messy hair hung in my face with an unattractive appeal to it. "LET ME GO!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, only to break down in tears.

I was filled with hopelessness.