CHAPTER 39: The Wishing Room

Time: 12:37
Location: Waterfall
The Wishing Room was only ahead of us now. I wonder how long the underground was? Sans said it would take 2 weeks to get through the mountain. Was that really true?

Reading the large sign that said 'WISHING ROOM', I sighed, looking at Sans, who was beginning to walk inside the room. "If it's a room, then, isn't this 'Wishing Room' a dead end?" I asked Sans, who had stopped abruptly, turning around slowly to look at me, as if I were an idiot. "Just asking... you know." I said, not quite liking the look Sans was giving my at the moment. "You know, I don't like that lo—." I tried to say, but Sans' sarcastic laughter cut me off.

"Oh! Right!" Sans said, smacking himself in the temple of his skull, "I completely forgot! This room doesn't lead to anywhere! I've only been down here for god knows how long!" He said, sarcastically. "Would you like to lead the way?" He grinned. "Might make you feel better." He looked at me, and I just put my hands in the air, trying not to laugh. "Hm?" He hummed, raising his eyebrows in anticipation on my answer, just to fit the role of his character more.

"Alright! Alright! You're the expert! I was just wondering!" I said, snorting quietly. "Though, a spectacular show, I must say." I laughed a bit, only slightly, afraid of his potential switch in personalities. Did he even switch? I'm not quite sure what to call it myself. It was like something took control of him.

"Thank you." He bowed sarcastically, turning around swiftly to head into the room of wishes. I could only wonder what was beyond the dark doorway.

We were both silent walking inside of this spectacular room, the ceiling glowed from the fake, glowing stars that seemed like half of them were ready to give away. The ceiling was much too wet for them to stick to the surface for an extended period of time, someone would have to restock them to the surface, unless they had nails down here as well.

The ceiling looked too fragile and worn down from the constant flowing water to use any sort of drilling technique anyways. It looked terrifying to see how old these cave walls were. They could give away at any moment— screw the plastic stars!

The room was almost completely dark, much darker than the other rooms because of the lack of crystallized walls and floors. It was just rock, and the main source of light— the glow in the dark starlights.

Directly to the right of me, another echo flower stood, proud and tall. Like most of the other flora I had seen in this place, it was Blue, and had a bioluminescent appeal to it, more so than the first one did. Maybe it was the lack of light that caused it to grow even more, maybe even producing more of its own food via chemosynthesis. The individual blossom with a large corolla stood at the tip of the strong stem, and it looked more beautiful in the dark.

It was strangely silent.

Sans kept walking, but I couldn't help but stare in awe at this 'wishing room.' I looked around even more, looking at the ceiling and the beautiful echoflower, a marvelous sight. Anywhere but in front of me, as if I were afraid I was going to miss something extremely important. "So, why is this called a wishing room?" I asked aloud, hearing my voice echo throughout the cave walls. Immediately, the echo flower directly next to me responded, echoing my question to Sans back quietly.

"Supposedly, if you make a wish here, it'll come true. I've heard from a lot of monsters that the wishes here work." He sighed slightly, angling his skull towards the ceiling. "But I've never tried it. It seems like a wasted effort." He said, as more echo flowers came into sight in the wishing room cave. It seemed like Sans could walk through here with his eyes closed— if that were possible. "There's no one left here to hear it anyways." He said rather darkly.

There was a moment of silence in the room, only the echo flowers repeated out conversation back and fourth to each other. I looked at Sans, who had sighed again. It was obvious the place was somewhat sentimental to him, or maybe, he had brought someone important here at one point. "So?" I said, chuckling a bit. "You don't have any wishes to make?"

"...mmmmm..." He hummed, passing another echoflower. The ground emitted a navy blue as the blue glow from the flower lit up the ground with a certain, ominous grace. You'd think that the echo flowers would be full of conversation, and not silent. Just how long has it been with only Sans down here? "Just one, but, it's kind of stupid." Sans said, surprising me a bit.

I stifled another bit of laugher, covering my mouth to prevent the obnoxious echoes I would create from my loud voice. "Oh come on! Don't say that!" I said, walking a bit faster to catch up with him. "Come on!" I said, walking in front of him. "I promise I won't—!" I said, as I stepped in front of him, cutting myself off, as I squinted my eyes to see the darkened hallway of the wishing room. "...laugh?" I said, squinting my eyes even more, my smile had disappeared suddenly— too suddenly.

"What?" He said, looking around. He picked his head up, as if trying to sense something's presence, or even detect something— like a radar.

Beyond Sans, in the darkness of the first echo flower illumination, I could see something. I wasn't quite sure what, but I could see the faint resemblance of a shadow, and someone looming over the flower in a field of darkness. I chuckled a little. "I thought you said you were the only one down here!" I said, grinning rather widely. The strange character was hard to make out in the darkness, but it was a peculiar shape, another monster, I could presume. I thought they would have all been skeletons, but I could have been wrong.

The blueness of the echo flower created a color distortion within the color scheme of the monsters but it seemed almost fully blue. All one color, and a gaping grin along the side of its mouth and seemed to swallow up all light all and all. A singular wide eye could be seen as well just above the wide smile the monster possessed.

"What do you...?" Sans trailed off, turning around to face the strange character with me. His smile seemed to drop, and his eyes didn't look happy. "What the?" He said rather slowly, as I excitedly hurried toward the monster with curiosity.