Cardinal birds

Markus POV

What it's like to be the leader of a succesful revolution, but after that? If felt like being a Northen Cardinal. They were so majestic, red, and sounded like loud whistles of a syrinx, just to show the world that they are there, and even if they are small, and can't do great things they are there and they are also matter. I was thinking about these wonderful birds, while I was staring out of the window. Carl was already sleeping a long ago, and Simon went to make some updates on his software too, so I was alone. At least for a couple of hours. And I was thinking about those little red birds, that's territory's border was lying around here somewhere. 

I stood up and went to the atelier, so I could do something until Simon would finish. As I walked in I saw the new android sitting ina chair. It's eyes were also shut. He was probably also updating. I just stood in the middle of the room as I scanned it. There were some paint that wasn't in it's place and some painting that were just lying around on the floor. I picked the paintings up and looked at them. I was so amazed by Carl who could paint these. I know I changed, I have feelings now, but I still don't have imagination. That's the part I yearn the most. Because as much as I feel human now, I still can't do what he can. Think of something that has never been done before and paint it. When I tried to do it last time, I did something new, but it wasn't even near to what he has been doing. 

I looked at the paints in my hands. What were they? Some chemicals that I could easily recreate, and what was the canvas? Nothing but a piece of cloth, nailed to some wood, And yet, when these things were together they made something incredible. They weren't extraordinary, they were just boring little elements of something that was nothing unnatual at all. The extraordinary thing that made them special was Carl. That old human, I was taking care of, and that I looked up the most in the world. 

I heard the android caretaker wake up. I still didn't had the time to talk, or even ask his name. 

I quickly put down the stuff from my hand. 

"Markus?" he asked. He seemed surprised by my presence. 

"Sorry. I was just..." I couldn't finish the sentence.

"Working? I know." he smiled at me. "I've finished my system uprgrade a few minutes before." 

I didn't know what to say. I guess it was what people call an awkward situation. Or in german peinlich, if you might. it would probably suit the situation better.

"You should check if Simon is ready. If I'm finished he is too probably. I started after him." he smiled at me. I didn't say anything just nodded.

I walked to my room hurriedly. No... Not my room. Our room. The caretaker was right. When I opened the door, I could see light in the room, and Simon sitting at the table, scribbleing something. He was a household android, and he was amazing in cooking, or cleaning, but he wasn't really good in drawning. So time to time when he thought that I wasn't watching, he practiced. Of course I acted like I didn't notice it, but he tried to draw me. Each time, when he wasn't avaible, because he was cooking or updating, I sneaked to the table, and looked through his drawnings. They were just heartwarming.

Now I didn't pretended I didn't see him. He didn't notice me anyway, so I could peacefully watch him. Of course this couldn't go on forever. I didn't know what gave me away, but suddenly he turned around blushing, trying to cover the table blushing.

"M-Markus! How long have you been standing there?" 

"6 minutes 43 seconds." I said truthfully. I stepped closer.

"S-Stop! Wait a minute!" he said, and I immediately stopped. He turned back to the table, and shoved everything to his  drawer. Then he turned back around stood up, and walked up to me.