Chapter 1

She tightened the knot of her apron and grabbed her comb. After running it through her hair one last time to make it look presentable, she placed it back into her locker. Grabbing her phone she walked towards the door. On the way she stopped in front of the mirror for about three seconds and judged her appearance.

Good enough.

"Good evening Amy," The cafe lady, her employer who ran the small café where she worked, greeted her with a smile as soon as walked in,

"Could you please cover booths 1 and 4?"

"Sure," Amelia replied and walked towards the customers who waited for her.

"Oh and by the way," she stopped her pace and added,
"It's pronounced 'Aa-mi'. Not 'Amy'."

When she approached booth no.4, a very full smile received her.

"Hey! What's up?" Aami returned the smile accompanied by a wave.

"I'm just the same. How are you? How are your classes going?" the visitor asked her with much enthusiasm.

"Just fine. I assume you'll be ordering the same as usual?"

"Yup," he nodded, "and so will he," he said pointing towards the boy who sat opposite to him.

Amelia shifted her gaze to the thin pale faced boy. He gave a slight smile and nodded in agreement to the Visitor's comment.

"Be right back," she smiled and walked away to take the other order.

It was dark outside. Sun had set and the air was getting colder by the minute. Amelia walked alone in the back alley. There was no one in near vicinity and it was too quiet. Back alley had always seemed like a different dimension, separated from rest of the world.

After dumping the plastic bags of waste in the dumpster, she turned to return back into the café through the back door. But the atmosphere was too calming. She stood there, eyes closed and she took in a deep breath. Smiling to herself she opened her eyes and started walking towards the café.

She was never one of those who got scared at ghosts or spirits. But a sudden movement in the distance caught her attention. At the end of the dark alley all she could see was the silhouette of a man, leaning against the wall.

You know how in horror movies when a scene as above is set, the girl always walks towards the said silhouette asking 'Excuse me! Who is it?' and ends up horrifyingly murdered? Amelia had seen too many horror movies to know the outcome of such an action. Without a second glance at the unknown figure she hurried back into the café.

"We are leaving Aami! Bye!"

Amelia waved back at the two boys who walked out the door. The café was almost empty by now. As she wiped clean the last table she heard a commotion. Recognising the cafe lady's voice among the yells she ran outside.

Two three people had gathered around a man on the ground. The cafe lady was standing watching him intently. As Amelia walked closer she noticed the man. In his black hoodie, his head was mostly covered. His backpack had fallen to one side and he was murmuring something. Suddenly he turned his gaze towards the cafe lady who jumped back in fright. Expecting a fight Amelia ran to be by the cafe lady's side.

But before she could get there, the cafe lady said,

"I am so sorry."

Huh?

Halting her steps Amelia wondered. The man suddenly stood up, threw his backpack over his shoulder and said,

"No I'm sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going. I should have been more careful."

"No, I should have been more careful!"

"Please don't apologize! It's my fault."

"No it's my fault."

As they profusely apologized to each other Amelia furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head at the scene.

"Why don't you come in? I'll treat you something. On the house!" The cafe lady offered him and he nodded his head in response.

On a neatly wiped table, the man sat, his head down staring at his coffee as he stirred it clockwise.

"I swear if he spills it, I'm not cleaning it up," Amelia muttered under her breath to the cafe lady who shushed her as she carried a piece of pastry to the man.

"Thank you!" she heard him reply.

Amelia stood behind the counter. Her arms crossed across her chest, she was observing the man that had just been invited in.

He could be a vampire. She thought.

"What?" The cafe lady asked her as she approached her.

Shaking her head, Amelia said,

"I don't trust him. There is something very fishy about him."

"You are nuts," The cafe lady tapped Amelia's forehead in fun.

"Think about it," Amelia continued,

"Why was he alone outside at this time of the night? I think the 'accident' was planned to get free food."

The cafe lady laughed at her weird theory and walked into the kitchen.

Amelia kept an eye on him.

What if he wanted to steal money from us?
Or kidnap us when no one else was there? Organ harvest?
Her not so detective mind started cooking up theories.

She was startled when the man suddenly stood up and walked towards her. His slow steps, dark clothes and the fact that she couldn't see his hoodie hidden face, scared her a little bit.

"A-Are you leaving? Already?" she stumbled for words.

"I think I should go now," he replied in a low voice.

"Hey! He wants to leave!" she yelled at the top of her lungs.

I do not want to be alone and this close to this scary man.

Hearing a chuckle Amelia shifted her gaze from the closed kitchen door and looked at the man.

"What?"' she asked feeling offended.

"Nothing. It sounded like you want to tie me up in here," he replied.

I would like to, you tall creepy dude.

"Okay!" The cafe lady yelled from inside the kitchen.

"Right! Okay then," feeling a little disappointed at the cafe lady's absence Amelia turned her attention towards the man in front of her.

Is this when he pulls out a knife and places it on my throat?
Her imagination started running wild.

"Next time you are in the neighbourhood, come by for a coffee," she faked her enthusiasm as much she could. This is hopefully the last time I see you. She thought.

"Okay Amelia."

His reply alarmed her.

How does he know my name?
Her eyes grew wide and she took in a short fast breath.

"It's on your name tag," he said pointing at her apron.

"Oh yeah," she murmured to herself as she sighed in relief.

She heard him chuckle again as he placed his steps towards the door and finally walked out for the night.