Chapter 25

She sat on the sofa, clutching tightly the bottle of water she had taken out from the fridge several minutes ago. Though she wasn't thirsty, she felt the need to clutch onto something tightly. Her mind was clouded with a mess of thoughts.

'The girl is pretty, you can't deny that.'

Mm.

'And he likes pretty girls.'

I know. I just want him to be happy. And if it's with her then-

A knock on her door distracted her. She placed the bottle in hand on the table, walked to her door and peered through the peephole. A sigh was the only thing that came out of her.

Jungkook was standing just a door apart.

"Aami? You there?" he asked.

For a second she considered pretending not to be at home.

'You want his happiness, don't you?'

Mm.

'Then be with him when he needs you. Be normal with him. Open the door.'

She turned the knob and opened the door. He stood patiently as she appeared from behind the door. With a fake smile plastered on, she asked, "What's going on Jungkook?"

Suddenly he blasted into her house pushing open the door.

"'Jungkook'? Since when have you started calling me 'Jungkook'?" he asked as soon as he walked in.

Amelia was utterly confused.

"What?" she asked him watching his distressed form.

"I asked, since when am I 'Jungkook' and not 'Jungoo'?"

He rushed to her and held onto either side of her shoulders. Startled she lost balance and staggered back a few steps.

"What? I don't-"

"Please talk to me Aami! I can't bear this silence!"

**4 days earlier**

"She took the day off Jungkook. Sorry," the café lady gave him a sympathetic smile before she returned to work.

Took the day off?

Jungkook couldn't believe his ears. Of the three and a half months he had known her, this was the first time he had heard of Amelia taking a day off from work.

"Thanks," he said as he made his way to the door that led him to the street.

"Jungkook!"

He turned around at the call. The café lady added, "Just give her some space for a few days."

Jungkook couldn't understand why Amelia would need space from him. They were close. At least he felt so.

Did she not? Does she feel differently now? Was it all in my head?

He wondered.

As he completed climbing the last stairs, he stood in front of her apartment. It hadn't been even twelve hours since he last saw her, but he knew things weren't right.

He walked to his apartment and took out his keys. As he was about to put the key in, he halted, sighed and then turned to his left, to run to her door. His hand made a fist and rose to knock on the door in full strength.

Give her some space for a few days.

The café lady's words boomed in his head. His fist paused mid-air.

She is right.

He closed his eyes tightly and lowered his head and arm. Walking back to his apartment he decided to not contact her for the day.

**2 days earlier**

Avoiding her the second day wasn't difficult considering she never showed up anywhere. Feeling discouraged by her absence, Jungkook decided to pick her up from the library. As he walked in, he saw those familiar faces again. The bespectacled boy who smiled at him the other day watched Jungkook walk across the library.

Jungkook reached her usual table and looked for her. Usually she would have been buried near a pile of books. He felt disappointed of not finding her there.

"Excuse me?"

Jungkook turned around and saw the bespectacled boy. Jungkook pointed at himself and the boy nodded. Jungkook asked, "Yeah?"

"Where is Amelia?" the boy asked. Jungkook thought for a second and said, "I think she left early. She had some work."

Jungkook then decided to leave the library and hurry to the café to look for her. He walked towards the exit, past the boy.

"Wait!" the boy called him again.

"Yeah?" Jungkook asked feeling annoyed but hiding his frustration.

"Are you and Amelia together?" the boy read a very confused face on Jungkook, and so with an flushed face and sheepish smile, he added, "I just wanted to know if she is single because I find her cute."

Jungkook scanned the boy for a moment, thought for a second and said before he ran out, "No, she is not single. Sorry."

Jungkook went straight to the café, his heart beating quite fast, in the hopes of finding her there.

"Sorry Jungkook. She left early today," the café lady shook her head and gave him a sad smile.

Standing outside the café, he looked up at the sky which was getting darker by the minute.

It had been a few days now and he hadn't seen her at all.

Is she sick? Is she mad at me? He felt restless and could feel a tightening in his chest.

Where is she? He wondered.

**1 day earlier**

"She left about an hour ago Jungkook  I told her that you were looking for her. But I think she isn't feeling well," the café lady told him. Giving a fake smile he nodded his head.

"Thanks," he said, and he walked out of the cafe.

It seemed like a lie to him. Everything seemed like a lie to him.

Who is lying? Aami or café lady? Is she mad at me? Is she avoiding me?

**Present**

"Please talk to me Aami! I can't bear the silence! So please stop avoiding me!"

Aami gazed at his face calmly. His pleading eyes and the distress in them. His grip on her shoulder.

He was looking for her.

But why?