Chapter 8

Amelia was sitting in the library trying to write. But writer's block has been a terrible sickness affecting her skills for a few days now. She hadn't seen Jungkook after that particular day at the stairs. And she had felt extremely guilty.

She packed her books and left for her building. Walking out of the elevator she ran to the door and knocked on it. After a few knocks she could sense someone move inside the apartment. A shadow appeared on the floor from behind the door. Soon the door opened, and Jungkook stood on the other side.

"Amelia? Hey."

It was clear that he had woken up just because of the knocks.

"Are you okay?" he asked rubbing his eyes.

"Am I okay?" she asked looking surprised, "You were missing for a few days and now you are asking me if I am okay."

"I was just a little sick. I'm fine now. I was planning to visit the café soon," he said in a hoarse voice.

"Really? Okay then." She nodded, turned and walked back towards her apartment.

"Get well soon," she said loud enough for him to hear, feeling a little stupid.

Watching her walk away he felt the corners of his mouth move upwards. Suddenly he stepped out and asked her, "Do, you want to go to the café today evening?"

"I have to go. I work there, remember?"

"I meant let's go together," he corrected his question. Nodding her head, she smiled and walked into her apartment.

***

It's funny how life goes and where it takes you. What started off as a walk to the café today evening has led to this.

Amelia thought looking at the half-finished bottle of beer in her hand.

"Let's take a selfie!" Jungkook pulled out his cell phone.

"Yes!" the café lady raised her bottle and then stared at it.

"No," Aami shook her head.

"We'll take one!" Jungkook scooted towards the café lady who gladly posed with him. After checking how it turned out, he sat back down.

"No one fear. I have more booze," the café lady said as she hurried towards her kitchen. After seeing them both walk in together after days, she had felt extremely happy. In celebration, she had closed the café early and decided to just drink.

Sitting across Jungkook, Amelia felt a little awkward. She didn't know what to say. And it didn't help that he wasn't talking to her either.

"I really am sorry about the Visitor. I didn't know that you may have, actually, liked him. Or that it would turn out the way it did. Had I known, I would have never teased you."

When he suddenly blurted out those words, though taken aback at first, it made her feel a little better.

He saw her give him a sad smile as she said, "It's okay. Guys..." she hesitated for a second and continued, "Guys are not exactly interested in me much. I always misunderstand their feelings."

She paused and then said, "I'm used to it."

Used to it.

Those words hurt him for some reason. He wasn't hurt by her, but hurt in a way that he couldn't explain. Head tilted towards a side, he watched her for a second and said, "You know you can tell me anything. Today, tomorrow, may be ten years from now."

A short painful laugh came from her and she said, "We may not even be friends then."

At these words, he blinked to understand what it meant. Feeling confused and a little sober now, with furrowed brows he asked her, "Why would you say that? Why wouldn't we be friends?"

"It's just the truth. We are all alone in this world. There was no one with us in our life so far and there will be no one further. Everyone we know today are just temporary."

He watched her sit still and stare at the floor. He couldn't understand what she was thinking or what to say next.