Chapter 2

"Why didn't you ask his name?"

Placing the coffee mug on the table, the café lady whined once again. It had been three days and she had been pestering Amelia for details on the stranger ever since the night he left the café.

"He was cute too, wasn't he?"

Amelia took in a deep breath.

"I don't know. I'm surprised you could see his face under that hoodie. And if you were so interested why didn't you ask his name?"

Opening her mouth the cafe lady dramatically scoffed.

"It's not my age to be interested in such a young boy. I was hoping you would take an interest in him."

Amelia walked to the cupboard and placed the mug. As she turned she said,

"Sure! That way you could see him every day."

The cafe lady laughed as she smacked Amelia with the dishtowel and said,

"True though."

Amelia loved the cafe lady. She had been there for just over a month now but the cafe lady had always treated her like family. She secretly hoped that the cafe lady liked her more than other employees who worked there. To an extent she knew it might be true.

***

Amelia walked up the stairs to her apartment. It wasn't very far away from the café which was convenient for her. It was late, past 11pm at night. Though initially scared, Amelia got used to the surroundings. Living alone in a small apartment in an old dark building did take time to get used to. She didn't know any of her neighbours but she had seen about two-three of them leaving for work or returning to their apartment. They were all like her. Young, alone and trying their best to survive on this planet.

She took out the left-overs from the café and placed it on the table. She was thankful for it for several reasons.

One - she didn't have to cook and could straight away take a shower and go to sleep.

Two - the cafe lady was an amazing chef and anyone would be insane to refuse her food.

And three - it was cheaper and helped her in saving up.

Stepping outside her bathroom wrapped in a towel, she wore her slippers and walked into her bedroom. Suddenly a sound caught her attention. It was sort of a low humming.

She turned her head towards the wall her bed was aligned along and walked slowly.

Late night. It was dark outside. Dogs howled in a distance. She was standing in her bedroom, wrapped in a towel while water dripped from her wet hair onto her bare shoulders. The sound of someone humming just a barrier away scared her. Ghosts and spirits never scared her, humans did. Images from a few nights ago raced to her head as she placed short steps toward the wall.

Be brave Amelia.

She thought as she walked to the wall and knocked on it three times.

The humming stopped. She waited about a minute for something more to happen. Relaxing her tightened shoulders she sighed upon no further distractions and finally decided to go to sleep.

***

Cool wind blew. It was cloudy and seemed like it might rain soon. Occasionally looking down, Amelia judged the whiteness of her own sneakers as she walked. She watched the same old shops as she passed by, remembering the items that was placed just a day ago. Things she couldn't afford now. And may never will.

As people passed by, her eyes skimmed through their faces not concentrating on anyone in particular. She didn't want the unknown strangers to think she was looking at them. It could call trouble.