Chapter 19.9

Sunny sky, green waters, cool breeze. She always preferred lakes over beaches. In all her life, all nine years of it, she had not been to many places. Though initially a little skeptical, she was glad that she took the decision of going to the one day tour with her classmates.

Being a kid has its advantages and disadvantages. If they were adults, standing at the spot they were in would have been allowed. But for some reason kids weren't allowed to stand at the edge of the shore in fear of falling in. Its as if the teachers thought that they were never careful enough.

"Kids! Get back here!"

A yell from behind caught her attention. Two-three of her friends turned around and ran at the call for they feared of getting caught. She moved to catch up with them. But then something happened.

She was falling.

And it was not like they showed in movies. It was not slow with her eyes watching all the faces that saw her fall back into the river. It was fast and quick. Within a second she was underwater.

Being a non-swimmer seemed like a major disadvantage at the moment.

But being underwater had its own wonders. It was green-blue all around. She couldnt see the floor of the lake, but she looked up and saw a blurry version of the sun dancing on the surface of the waters. It was beautiful, all of it.

So these are the last few moment of my life. Huh...It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

There were no images from past life flashing before her eyes. There was no recollection of favourite moments that would bring her to tears. There was no fear, no emotions.

Waiting for death did not scare her. She was just curious to know what followed. What more could she get to see in those few last moments. Until-

"Got her!"

A strong grip on her arm pulled her out of the water. She coughed as her lungs struggled with the sudden change of state. The next few moments were a blur during which she was taken to the shore, covered in a blanket and given lord knows what else. She couldnt comprehend. Her thoughts were still immersed underwater...

A few years later their class had gone to visit the dam in town.

It was magnificent.

A vast arch that could fit in two or more football fields, holding depths of water on its one side.

It was said that if one keeps their ear on the wall and listen carefully, they could hear the lost merpeople crying to get out.

The wind blew strongly and messed up her already messy hair. She walked on top of the dam with her friends, and gazed at the green-blue water collected on one side.
Looking down, she could imagine the wonders the water stored in its depths. She thought of the time several years back, when she was close to discovering it.

She leaned forward gazing onto the surface, trying to imagine the coolness of the water on her skin, and the wonderful blueness it held. The experience from a few years back stood out from the depth of her memory and she felt the need to experience it one more time...

"Amelia?"

A call from her friend broke her train of thoughts. Moving away from the railing, she regained a smile on her lips all within fraction of a second, waved back and ran to her friend.