Chapter 33

It was a sunny day, but the wind was cool. There was not a single cloud in the sky. It was as if someone had dipped their brush in sky blue colour and painted the canvas up above. The trees wore green crowns and birds chirped. This was Amelia's favourite weather. To her it was a rare recipe for instant happiness.

But there may have been one more reason why she was this happy in a long time.

It had been a few weeks since that one crazy emotional night. It didn't matter how broken she felt at the time. It didn't matter how tough it was to bring those feelings out of her. It didn't matter how mentally exhausting it was.

What mattered was him. His presence.

Amelia had always found it very easy to trust someone. She could share a lot with a person within a few meetings.

However, she always found it difficult to deeply trust someone. There was always a line, the last line which stood bold, not letting anyone get over it. To get into her shell was impossible.

Or so she thought until Jungkook came along.

Was she alright now? Probably not. But it was good to finally have someone, something she never imagined, who understood and took care of her. To have someone who responded to her requests and corrected her mistakes.

She didn't know what she meant to him or what he meant to her. But she knew that she couldn't let go of him. Not anymore.

Plus, he wouldn't leave even if she forced him to.

While her feet made fast steps on the pavement, she felt something grace her shoulder. With a smile she turned her head to her right and looked at him, walking by her. Always a protective touch without touching. Like a guardian angel.

Looking ahead, she continued walking, unknowingly a slight smile lightening up her face. And then suddenly he caught her hand. While she looked up at him in surprise, he interlaced his fingers with hers.

"What?" he asked looking ahead, avoiding eye contact.

"You don't have to do this," she said.

"Do what?" he acted oblivious.

She raised their intertwined fingers.

He chuckled and said, "You mean 'you' don't want to do this," he paused and added, "But I want to."

She observed the creases formed on either side of his eyes when he smiled. She loved seeing them.

He suddenly increased his speed and pulled her along as they made their way amidst the busy crowd.

**

Walking up the last stair though was exhausting, but was fun at the same time.

Jungkook's shopping bags were heavy, and her arms were tired holding them for so long. She wanted to treasure these last few days with him before he left. After all it was very difficult convincing him to take up his dream job.

When they finally arrived at their floor, Amelia walked to her door thoroughly searching her bag for her key. Feeling odd she turned around and saw Jungkook standing still. He gave her a smile which she returned. Again, he stood still looking around.

She asked, "What? Why are you waiting out? Are you not going in? Don't you need to pack?" she gestured to his door.

With an innocent face of round eyes and cute nose, and a very clueless expression he said, "No, I'll pack later. I have two days until I leave. We'll eat something together first."

Furrowing her eyebrows, feeling not so convinced, she said, "Okay..." and unlocked the door.

He followed her into the apartment and locked it behind him. While she walked to get some water he said, "Here."

She turned around and saw his protruded arm in which he held a few envelopes.

"My mail?" she asked. He nodded.

"Thanks. Could you keep it there?" she asked him, pointing towards the small cabinet by the door.

He shook his head and extended his arm. He shook the envelopes in his hand and walked a step forward.

Feeling extremely weirded out by his behaviour, she walked to him and took the envelopes.

"Go through them," he said with his very mischievous smile that exposed two front teeth.

Furrowing her brows, she shuffled through the ones in her hand. Her eyes suddenly widened when they fell upon a word.

Publishers.

She looked up at him. He had a sly smile on his face.

"Jungoo?"

"Open it and see," he said.

She tore the side of the envelope and took out a paper. As her eyes skimmed through the content quickly, she turned away from him, trying to avoid him seeing her eyes get glossy.

"Aami?" worried by her silence, he called out.

"They loved it," a low voice spoke.

She turned around with eyes brimming with tears and asked him, "When? How?"

"A few weeks back. My professor gave me their details. I'm sorry I didn't tell you beforehand. And I'm sorry I took your work without your permission, but I had to send it to them."

He paused and said, "You made it Aami. I'm so proud of you," he placed slow steps towards her.

She walked to the table and placed her hand on it for support, her back towards him. She said, "They'll publish it as their next project."

"Congrats Aami."

She could hear the smile in his words. What followed was a moment of silence before she said, "Everyone hates me Jungoo. Everyone leaves...Why are you still here?"

He listened to her speak in a broken voice and he said what he felt in his heart, "Well...I am not everyone Aami. Believe when I say, everything happens for the best."

She wanted to see him. She said, "Jungoo."

As she turned around, she realised that he had covered the distance between them. He was close now. Too close. When she looked up at his face, she found him gazing into her eyes. But she couldn't figure out the emotion in them. Was there a little pain? Her mind was blank. No words at all.

All he could see was the anxiety in her eyes. But he too realised how she felt at the moment.

They were standing too close, him being tall towering over her short form. Slowly their foreheads touched, and eyes closed. She felt his hands on her waist. As one hand moved to the small of her back pushing her against him gently, the other hand, held her jaw and raised it slightly. Her hands clutched onto the fabric of his t-shirt as the distance between them zeroed. Breathing in each other, their heartbeat synced. And he pressed his lips against hers.

She felt her fingers go weak and her clutch on him relaxed. Slowly he moved away from her separating their lips, their noses still touching. She opened her eyes and watched a small mischievous smile that she loved, adorn his lips.

But her eyes bulged in shock when he asked, "You have never kissed anyone before, have you?"