Chapter 27

He sat on the floor leaning against the wall, she still in his arms. He stroked her hair gently while she rested her head on his chest, their breath synchronised. She had stopped crying for some time and now just stayed quiet watching their chest go up and down in a rhythm. It was pitch dark outside, probably past midnight by now.

"My parents had passed away when I was eight years old."

Jungkook said. Though she didn't move, she turned her attention towards his words.

"I lived with my relatives until I was eighteen. The one who came to the café the other day was my uncle. He was my supposed guardian. Rather than raising me, their main intention was to get the money my parents had left for me. I was around thirteen when I realised this truth. I just wanted to get out of there. Escape. The day I turned eighteen, I had moved out. He still visits occasionally; I think still in hopes to get a share."

He continued.

"I can barely remember my parents. Sure, I have seen them in photographs but since it was a long time back, they seem a little like strangers when I see the framed pictures, you know?"

He felt her nod her head.

"They valued education a lot. That I remember. Even at the age of eight I had promised myself that I'd study a lot and get a good life."

Remaining silent for a few seconds, he continued, "You are the first person I have shared this with. And you will probably be the last one. Do you know why I am sharing this with you?"

He felt head shake indicating a No. He said, "Because I trust you. And I haven't trusted anyone in a long time. Being alone for thirteen years does that to you."

She lay silently listening to all his words.

"I love you Aami. And I'm not saying this because I want to make you feel better. It's the truth. You will not accept that I love you, unless you believe that it's possible. For that you need to love yourself. But only you can do that. My words wont mean much until you learn to accept yourself; until you believe that you are beautiful, just the way you are."

He raised her hand in his and kissed each finger, and said," I know you love me too and you'll tell me that someday. But tonight, at this hour, I can honestly say that you are the most important person in my life. I am never letting you go. And I promise you that I intend to stay with you forever, whether you want me to or not."

Silent tears escaped her eyes and wet his t-shirt. He resumed moving his fingers through her hair as he rested his head against the wall and slowly drifted off to sleep.